Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX - No Bounding Box With Shapes Generator

It seems a bounding box should show or at least have an option to turn it on. Nothing. Any ideas how to fix this. I've never used generators before but have used titles many times of course.

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 5:49 PM

So the only way to move the arrow around much is to use transform x y? A bit awkward and slow compared to clicking on the arrow and dragging it to each key point which is what I expected. The problem with that is the arrow is cropped at the edge of the invisible bounding box.

15 replies

Dec 30, 2019 10:53 PM in response to caljim

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THE TRANSFORMS PARAMETERS for the Shape Generator... Reset them all to the original settings.

DO NOT CHANGE THE CENTER PARAMETER of the Shape Generator! (Except to move it out of the way of the Effects OSC so you can gain control of it.)

ONLY USE THE TRANSFORM PARAMETERS from the GenTransforms Effect: Position, Rotation, Scale and Shear. AND, once you move the Shape with the GenTransforms Position parameter or OSC out of the way, you can go back into the Shape Generator's parameters and RESET the Center parameter.

The Effect will move, rotate and scale the entire Shape generator. If you move the Shape with the Shape Generator's Center parameter, it will still go out of bounds. If you use any of the regular Transforms, you can seriously mess up what you want to do.

You will have the ability to move that Shape Generator to anywhere on (or even OFF) the screen.

You can see the arrow at the right side of the Viewer at the very edge — I have it pointing to the Highlighter - GenTransforms effect. ONLY use THOSE parameters for any of the things you want to do with the Shape generator. You can use everything OTHER THAN the Center parameter in the Shape Generator inspector (Fill, Outline, Shadow, etc.) And stay away from the Transform section completely.

Dec 27, 2019 10:35 PM in response to caljim

Give this a try:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/product/highlighter-gentransforms/

(It is listed as a "product", but it is FREE! — it's actually faster for me to put it up this way and I will know when you download it. You do not have to provide personal information — you can make up a name...)

There's a user hint on the page for Shapes.

Install it in Effects, Category of your choice (Instructions Here, if you need them). Add the effect to the Shapes generator. Use the Effects inspector to control it.

There is an OSC for you to drag the shape around (you will need to gain access to it by moving the original larger puck slightly out of the way — I recommend directly downward). You can scale the shape and it will not be cropped — you have full access to the entire screen. You can rotate three dimensionally and there are Shear controls (X and/or Y). Everything can be animated via keyframes.

Once you move the shape off its original OSC with the Effect's OSC, you can reset the Shape's Center X/Y parameters to 0,0.

If you have any trouble, get back with me.

HTH

Dec 29, 2019 4:42 PM in response to caljim

The download is an Effect not a Generator. Move it over into the Effects templates. If it's by itself in a category, just move the entire category from Generators to Effects.

Once you have access to it, load up a Shape generator, then go into your Effects browser and find the GenTransforms and apply it to the generator.

Dec 30, 2019 8:53 AM in response to fox_m

I put the Highlighter - GenTransforms folder into the ~/Movies/Motion Templates/Effects folder. I rebooted FCPX and it isn't in the Effects panel. In ~/Movies/Motion Templates there are four folders including Generators and Effects but nothing in them until now.

The use of your tool may be the first time many of us casual FCPX users have encountered this situation. I'm just a lowly YouTuber with little need for effects, generators, or much more than titles, credits, and a couple of transitions. :-)

It may be interesting to add explosions to a mountain biking video...

Dec 30, 2019 10:22 AM in response to caljim

Ok - you have the four main folders for Effects, Generators, Titles and Transitions.

You need to set up the Highlighter - GenTransforms *folder* in:

[ Effects ]

|

[ Category ] (folder -- this is the label that appears in FCPX's effects browser

|

[ Highlighter - GenTransforms ]

You must keep all the files inside the GenTransforms folder together (Highlighter - GenTranforms.moef, large.png, small.png and the Media Folder — these items make up the actual template).

You will not have to restart FCPX. When it is installed correctly, it will appear.

Dec 30, 2019 1:35 PM in response to fox_m

Well, this installation works and I applied it to the arrow generator and see the controls but the bounding box is even smaller than the original. This is worse, which I'm sure isn't what you intended. I see no way to have the entire image available. I'm using it on a photo of a map in 4K.

Dec 30, 2019 2:36 PM in response to caljim

You're probably using the larger ("silver") OSC that goes with the Shape generator. I recommend you drag that one down off the smaller black one just far enough to get it out of the way, then use ONLY the smaller black OSC. Its Position parameters will be in the Effect inspector.

Here's the deal: you add the shape generator. No matter what you do when you scale it down, you are scaling the entire 4K image area. You don't see it because it's transparent, but the cropping edges of the media follow along with it. This happens even with the Effect (GenTransforms).

Here's the difference:

When you move the Shape by its original OSC, you are moving it inside it's boundaries. The Cropping is scaled down to conform to the edges of the Generator's size.

When you move the Shape by the Effect OSC, you are moving the ENTIRE generator. Therefore, the Cropping is moving along with the arrow. Its "relative" relationship to the Shape never changes. You have full access to your 4K screen area because the Shape generator's background and cropping follow along with the position of the smaller black OSC. You even rotate the entire Generator (not the shape itself) when you use Rotation and you distort the entire Generator when you use Shear. You should always see 100% of any of the shapes when you apply and use the Effect.

Does that make sense? If not — I'll try a different way to explain it.

Dec 30, 2019 3:59 PM in response to fox_m

I was using the small icon and I can see the coordinates change in the inspector. However, it doesn't seem to be moving the entire generator as you describe. The arrow is very quickly cropped out of the view, even worse than using the generator icon.

I like your concept of moving the generator but it isn't working. I have the latest FCPX.

Dec 31, 2019 2:10 PM in response to caljim

Yes! Great! It's not the most intuitive way to deal with that generator, but it will get around having to deal with the Transform section and switching back and forth between the Generator controls and Transform — putting all the controls in one easy to access place.

I will definitely have to supply the instructions to go with the effect!

FCPX - No Bounding Box With Shapes Generator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.