Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictionary App stops working

On my MacBook Pro 16 inch, the built-in dictionary app stops working on some of the built-in dictionaries, like Oxford Chinese Dictionary, Oxford Thesaurus of English etc. (I cannot select the dictionary options from Preferences)

How could I reinstall the dictionary app?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 9:06 PM

Thank you for your reply. You put me on to the right track to resolve this.

This problem appears to be isolated to new 16" MBP because they are apparently running a special (???) build of Catalina whether upgraded to 10.15.2 or not.

Here is the solution without the need for a reinstall:

• Temporarily disable System Integrity Protection to be able to remove the dictionary files in the following 2 folders.

Instructions here: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection.html

• Remove all dictionaries from the Dictionary app within preferences

• Remove all files within the following 2 folders:

/System/Library/AssetsV2/PreinstalledAssetsV2/InstallWithOs/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX

/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX

• Reenable the dictionaries you require within preferences; these will now be redownloaded from Apple.

• Be sure to reenable System Integrity Protection

Viola!!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 9:06 PM in response to Siaoming

Thank you for your reply. You put me on to the right track to resolve this.

This problem appears to be isolated to new 16" MBP because they are apparently running a special (???) build of Catalina whether upgraded to 10.15.2 or not.

Here is the solution without the need for a reinstall:

• Temporarily disable System Integrity Protection to be able to remove the dictionary files in the following 2 folders.

Instructions here: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection.html

• Remove all dictionaries from the Dictionary app within preferences

• Remove all files within the following 2 folders:

/System/Library/AssetsV2/PreinstalledAssetsV2/InstallWithOs/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX

/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX

• Reenable the dictionaries you require within preferences; these will now be redownloaded from Apple.

• Be sure to reenable System Integrity Protection

Viola!!

Jan 3, 2020 6:53 PM in response to Grant Ireland

Yes, you are right.

I searched for .dictionary and deleted all the *.dictionary files. Now it works fine.

Actually, before this, I also tried reinstall the whole system, but no luck.

The reason I would like to reinstall is that, I also have another issue:

connecting an external monitor for days, when unlocking the screen from black screen, the laptop monitor keeps flashing and external one stops working. However, after restarting, it is all good again. I hope the reinstallation could fix this together. However, again, no luck!

Dec 31, 2019 9:35 AM in response to Siaoming

Hello Siaoming and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you're having an issue accessing some of the built-in dictionary sources on a new MacBook Pro.

Dictionary User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

While it's possible to add additional dictionary sources, the dictionary app itself is part of macOS and can't be reinstalled on it's own.

Reinstall apps that came with your Mac - Apple Support

Cheers.

Dictionary App stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.