Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictionary App Not Working Properly

On my MacBook Pro, 13-inch, Early 2015, in recent days when I’ve tried to use the ‘Dictionary App’ - it doesn’t work properly anymore… not at all for these tabs: ‘All’ or ‘Dictionary’ or ‘Thesaurus’ or ‘Apple’. Only ‘Wikipedia’ which seems somewhat limited.  Have 10.15.7 - the most recent update. Please advise. if there's a solution.

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 1:05 PM

I seemed to have found a solution to my own 'Question' above-- By doing another search, at support.apple.com, and then following the instructions to 'remove' the 'Dictionary App' from the Dock. -- Thus-- in using the Dock area, and clicking the 'Dictionary' app and hovering it just above the 'Dock' area bar, until the 'Remove' bar appeared, and let it go. It's gone only from the Dock, but as it was explained, in doing this, I would only be 'removing' the 'Alias' not the entire Dictionary application. Next, I went to the Launchpad icon {found in the Dock and opened it], then clicked the Dictionary App, and slid it back onto the Dock, and voila! - all the tabs in the 'Dictionary App' were active, whereas before only 1 tab in the Dictionary app actively worked which was 'WikiPedia' not the 'All', "Dictionary", 'Thesaurus' or 'Apple' tabs. Now they all are working. Fairly simple solution actually.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 1:05 PM in response to Not Misunderstood

I seemed to have found a solution to my own 'Question' above-- By doing another search, at support.apple.com, and then following the instructions to 'remove' the 'Dictionary App' from the Dock. -- Thus-- in using the Dock area, and clicking the 'Dictionary' app and hovering it just above the 'Dock' area bar, until the 'Remove' bar appeared, and let it go. It's gone only from the Dock, but as it was explained, in doing this, I would only be 'removing' the 'Alias' not the entire Dictionary application. Next, I went to the Launchpad icon {found in the Dock and opened it], then clicked the Dictionary App, and slid it back onto the Dock, and voila! - all the tabs in the 'Dictionary App' were active, whereas before only 1 tab in the Dictionary app actively worked which was 'WikiPedia' not the 'All', "Dictionary", 'Thesaurus' or 'Apple' tabs. Now they all are working. Fairly simple solution actually.

Dictionary App Not Working Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.