Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

since upgrading to os 11 dictionary is no longer useful

since upgrading to Mac os 11 dictionary is no longer useful. Has anyone else had this issue and have you found a fix? I have been waiting to see Apple address this in updates but so far no luck.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 9:21 AM

Usually when a System File is corrupted, I suggest doing an " In-Place " Reinstall. The in place reinstall is performed from Recovery Mode - ) Intel- Command + r or Apple Silicon M1 Recovery Mode

This method will download the Full Installer - in this case - Big Sur and commence the installation. It should replace any missing or Corrupted Elements of the OS, including the Dictionary Application without touching Preferences, Third Party Applications and personal files.

Like any installation - a Time Machine Backup is a very good idea. If possible - perhaps a Clone also to separate External Drive as added insurance if things go sideways.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2021 9:21 AM in response to vcarl54

Usually when a System File is corrupted, I suggest doing an " In-Place " Reinstall. The in place reinstall is performed from Recovery Mode - ) Intel- Command + r or Apple Silicon M1 Recovery Mode

This method will download the Full Installer - in this case - Big Sur and commence the installation. It should replace any missing or Corrupted Elements of the OS, including the Dictionary Application without touching Preferences, Third Party Applications and personal files.

Like any installation - a Time Machine Backup is a very good idea. If possible - perhaps a Clone also to separate External Drive as added insurance if things go sideways.

Sep 25, 2021 8:43 AM in response to vcarl54

In a previous thread regarding this issue, jeffsyrop suggested the following: Here is the solution to the problem. I posted it somewhere else, and I'm sorry I didn't post it here, too, since I'm the one who asked the original question! Apparently my Dictionary.app database file for the Oxford English (American) dictionary got corrupted. These instructions, posted by Grant Ireland in Hong Kong, were perfect (except for one minor step he left out). Here they are, with the missing step now included:

I had a major success today by finally finding some instructions for fixing a my broken Dictionary.app. I could not force click to look up a word, and I could not use the US English Oxford dictionary, while all the others worked fine. And my Preference window was missing a pain that showed up on Ruey's computer but not on mine. I had to:

1. Set preferences in Dictionary.app so that no dictionaries are enabled.
  2. Close the app.
  3. Go into recovery mode [on new MacBook Air, just shut down and then hold down start button while restarting until you see boot options].
  4. Open Terminal, type "csrutil disable", and restart computer.
  5. Go to 2 long folder paths: /System/Library/AssetsV2/PreinstalledAssetsV2/InstallWithOs/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX and /System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX and delete everything inside.
  6. Restart Dictionary and set the dictionaries you want, and they will all download from Apple right before your eyes
  7. EMPTY YOUR TRASH! (this was the missing step)
  8. Go back into recovery mode and run "csrutil enable" and reboot.

I'd been fighting with this dictionary problem for 2 months! So thank you Grant Ireland! Here was his answer, and it was NOT easy to find on line!

-End suggestion-

I have followed the 2 long folder paths to discover that those do not exist in my /System/Library/AssetsV2/. I suspect this is the problem but how do I correct it?

since upgrading to os 11 dictionary is no longer useful

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.