Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro early 2011 Slow internet New SDS and 8GB

Hello my macbook pro early 2011 is having trouble with very slow internet (can't play videos) but nothing else non internet related is slow. I just put in a New 500 GB SDS SATA Drive and the RAM was updated to 8 GB.. I don't know much about computers but was able to make these easy improvements by myself with the help of youtube videos. Hoping there might be an easy fix! Thanks so much :)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 5:22 PM

yaya451 wrote:

me again ... sorry...I think it might be my wifi card..how can I tell?

You can Option-click on the WiFi icon on the menubar to check on the signal strength & noise levels of the WiFi connection. This will also tell you the current WiFi link speed. There is also a WiFi Diagnostic option when you Option-click on the WiFi icon. Normal signal strength should be somewhere between -35db and at worst 60db, with the noise level around -90db.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2019 5:22 PM in response to yaya451

yaya451 wrote:

me again ... sorry...I think it might be my wifi card..how can I tell?

You can Option-click on the WiFi icon on the menubar to check on the signal strength & noise levels of the WiFi connection. This will also tell you the current WiFi link speed. There is also a WiFi Diagnostic option when you Option-click on the WiFi icon. Normal signal strength should be somewhere between -35db and at worst 60db, with the noise level around -90db.

Dec 28, 2019 5:19 PM in response to yaya451

Try connecting the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable to eliminate any WiFi issues. Do you still have issues?

Have you rebooted your laptop?

Turn off your laptop and reboot your modem & router. Give them both at least five minutes to return to a normal state before booting your laptop to test your internet connection.

If you have any Anti-Virus or security apps, then uninstall them by following the developer's instructions. These apps are not needed on a Mac and usually cause more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance. You may want to remove any installed browser extensions as well. Try using another browser and empty the browser's cookie's and cache.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting network issues:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663

Sometimes the issues are with your ISP or the Internet in general and other times some websites just have issues. If it is only related to playing videos, then perhaps your software is too far out of date to play the videos.

Are your issues with just certain websites or every website? Certain videos or all videos? Does the same issues occur when accessing the Internet from another location than your house?

macbook pro early 2011 Slow internet New SDS and 8GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.