Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.6 and internet connection

Ever since upgrading to 11.6 my internet connection is slow. No one else in my office is having this problem. It keeps freezing with video calls and is SO slow with all things internet. Any ideas?

I also have a brand new MacBook Pro and it is the same as my other 2 computers.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 6:16 PM

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response. After calling AT&T for days now, we finally got them to admit that somehow they had made changes within our router (why, how, who? who knows) and that was the problem. They enabled the 5 ghz "switch" and magically it started working. As Luis pointed out below, it was a coincidence. I went from 30 mbs to 300 mbs and funny how that helped.

Again, thanks for trying to help me!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2021 6:16 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response. After calling AT&T for days now, we finally got them to admit that somehow they had made changes within our router (why, how, who? who knows) and that was the problem. They enabled the 5 ghz "switch" and magically it started working. As Luis pointed out below, it was a coincidence. I went from 30 mbs to 300 mbs and funny how that helped.

Again, thanks for trying to help me!

Sep 28, 2021 9:50 AM in response to midwife

Just to be sure. Are you saying only this particular MacBook Pro, with macOS Big Sur 11.6, is having this issue? ... and that the other two similar MBPs are not having any issues with Internet performance?

If that is the case, then we can rule out the wireless router/access point as being the culprit, and we can concentrate on this particular notebook. With that said, what have you tried, so far yourself, to resolve this so that we don't try offering potential solutions that may not have already worked for you?

Two other questions:

1. Although these are similar notebooks, are they identical; both hardware and software?
  2. Are all 3 located near the same wireless access point?

Sep 28, 2021 10:12 AM in response to midwife

Ok, so ALL of your MBPs, regardless of location, are having Internet performance issues. Got it!

Your original post said Internet performance is "slow." How are you measuring it?

Regardless, let's start with the quality of the Wi-Fi connection with them at both locations. To get an idea, hold down the option key, and then, click on the Wi-Fi icon on the macOS menu bar. Please provide the values (from the drop-down menu) for the following items (you can just start with the one at work or at home, depending on what is more convenient at the time:)

• Security
  • Channel
  • RSSI
  • Noise
  • Tx Rate
  • PHY Mode
  • MCS Index
  • NSS

Sep 28, 2021 10:50 AM in response to midwife

Usually it all comes down to software. It is not surprising to see it in all three macs, as they probably have similar software installed. Of course this happening immediately after the update makes you suspect the update itself, but it could be that something already installed does not work well with it.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Sep 29, 2021 8:57 AM in response to midwife

Thanks for providing the "solution" from AT&T. No doubt, one of the issues with having an ISP-provided modem/gateway is that they "own" it. Which means they can access it from their end. One option, if you are not doing so already, is to consider purchasing your own device so only you can manage it. However, that is not an option (or allowed) for some ISPs. Not sure about AT&T.

11.6 and internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.