My Macbook's connecting to the WiFi, but it takes forever to connect to the Internet.

My Macbook is connected to my house's WiFi network. However, when I open my web browser, the website usually takes a minute to load. Afterward, the internet works fine, but when I first open it, there's a slight delay. I don't know why this is. It's like whenever I first open my Macbook (after it's been asleep, not after restarting it), the internet takes a little bit of time to load. Why is this?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 5:43 PM

Presuming that is somewhere near the speeds you are paying for, it does not look like you have a Wi-Fi problem.

It looks like you have a Mac Performance problem,

Poisoning Internet performance:

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners. or a VPN that you installed yourself.

The idea that a third party, with no special knowledge of the inner workings of MacOS, can somehow find a simple way to protect your computer — that is not already being done by MacOS itself — suggests that the MacOS developers are somehow "holding out on you". That is absurd.

You should remove any and all (other than Apple built-in) virus scanners, speeder uppers, optimizers, cleaners, App deleters or VPN packages you installed yourself, or anything of that ilk.

Third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive can ruin performance, but are not inherently dangerous.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 5:43 PM in response to lexpt22

Presuming that is somewhere near the speeds you are paying for, it does not look like you have a Wi-Fi problem.

It looks like you have a Mac Performance problem,

Poisoning Internet performance:

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners. or a VPN that you installed yourself.

The idea that a third party, with no special knowledge of the inner workings of MacOS, can somehow find a simple way to protect your computer — that is not already being done by MacOS itself — suggests that the MacOS developers are somehow "holding out on you". That is absurd.

You should remove any and all (other than Apple built-in) virus scanners, speeder uppers, optimizers, cleaners, App deleters or VPN packages you installed yourself, or anything of that ilk.

Third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive can ruin performance, but are not inherently dangerous.

My Macbook's connecting to the WiFi, but it takes forever to connect to the Internet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.