Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm upgrading my old iMac (late 2012), and wonder how much software won't work on the new one? I use Quicken, MS Office, Earthlink, Turbotax, and Adobe... Will they all need replacing?

I'm upgrading my old iMac (late 2012), and wonder how much software won't work on the new one? I use Quicken, MS Office, Earthlink, Turbotax, and Adobe... Will they all need replacing?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 9:45 AM

All 32 bit apps will not work with Catalina. Launch the System Information app preinstalled on your computer go to the software section and check each app. Once you have a list of 32 bit apps see if there are updates to 64 bit. If you can update then do it if not then decide which you need to replace.

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 29, 2019 5:31 PM in response to yoellis19

In addition to the excellent advice offered here, I would like to also offer the following, which you may find useful.

·      As noted, any old 32 bit programs you have installed will be affected. They will no longer work. Your files are not affected, they just can not be opened with the old 32 bit app.

·      Due to cost factors, if a person wishes not to upgrade their Microsoft Office, there are several good alternatives. They are the free LibreOffice and OpenOffice apps. Additionally, your Apple OS provides three free programs which you may use as an alternative to Office, Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

·      Any of these apps can and will open your current Office documents. You may also create new documents and save them as Word files, etc. when you need to share files with other people who only have Office installed.

·      Using any of these programs does involve a learning curve as they work a bit differently, but all of them are fine programs.

If you have Microsoft Office for Mac 2016 or later, it can be upgraded at no cost. If it is an earlier version, it cannot.

·      If you decide to upgrade an older version of Office, you have options. You may elect to subscribe to any of the following:

• Office 365 Home:         $99.99 per year or $9.99 monthly. This allows you to install Office in up to six devices. This service must be renewed yearly. You may try the service free for one month.
    • Office Personal:           $69.99 per year or $6.99 monthly. This is for installation on one device only. This service must be renewed yearly. You may try the service free for one month.
    • Office Home & Student:        $149.99 one-time purchase cost. This is a purchasefor installation on one device only and is not renewed or have a monthly fee. It does not expire.
    • The second and third options include fewer additional apps such as having no Outlook app. Check the Microsoft site for details.

·       I recommend that if you elect to do the Office upgrade, you first completely remove your Old Office app and its associated bits and pieces which will be spread through several other folders. This can be done effectively with the free program AppCleaner.app. It is easy to use and doing so will avoid creating any potential conflicts. After this is done, then you may download the replacement Microsoft Office files safely.

·       Finally, and this is important, when purchasing any of these Office upgrades, you need to register your purchase on the Microsoft web site, including which device or devices the apps are installed on. This can be changed later if a device is replaced. You must do this registration or you can have problems.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.