Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login screen is black but icon, cursor and username are displayed

So I was in the middle of getting the latest software update when my macbook air went to sleep and i left it alone for a little while. I clicked a key to see its progress but it showed a black login screen with only my icon, my username and the cursor showing. Also the the top left corner, there’s a flashing cursor line, like when you’re ready to type but no letters show when i type. I don’t know what this is, I don’t know how to fix it. I tried turning it off and on but it’s still the same. I tried to do the safe mode thing but my volume is off and i cant hear the chime. Pls help?

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 6:32 PM

Try resetting the SMC by following instructions here How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

See if that solves it.

If NOT then try resetting the NVRAM by following instructions here Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

See if the above solves it.

Let us know and Good Luck.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2019 6:32 PM in response to Anxiousbirb

Try resetting the SMC by following instructions here How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

See if that solves it.

If NOT then try resetting the NVRAM by following instructions here Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

See if the above solves it.

Let us know and Good Luck.

Axel F.

Login screen is black but icon, cursor and username are displayed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.