Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Poor Playback Performance

I have a ticket open with Apple since one month that I thought was specific to my set up and the files I process however yesterday I bumped into a user with similar issues on different files

This is a GPU history of playback of original media in FCPX first (high GPU usage) and VLC after

When FCPX peaks the playback stops as I am dropping frames. VLC utilisation of GPU is around 25% of final cut pro indicating the playback engine of final cut pro is poorly written

note that ie no LUT or effect applied this is raw data

I have the same issue on Mac Mini and Macbook Pro all on coffee lake CPU I would be interested to know if this behaviour is specific to my two devices or is an issue of final cut pro on all platform

Example file here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YxqCaw9SSyUSW68gDPEr-u0cs-dj6Ba5

Thank you for reading

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 4:46 AM

It's running a current Catalina build.

GPU fluctuates around about 35%.

I also have GOP GH5 10-bit media that doesn't play without optimization, while this does.

Similar questions

6 replies

FCPX Poor Playback Performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.