Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer word files from pc to iPad?

I have a new iPad pro and need to transfer several folders with word documents to be stored on my iPad (to be able to use them off-line).

Can I use a cabled connection?

I have copied them to a cloud (onedrive). How do I download them to my iPad? Where can I most conveniently store them on the iPad, so I can use them in the word app?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 10:14 AM

If you wish to bypass OneDrive entirely, another option is to use iTunes' file Sharing option to transfer the files into the Microsoft Word app, or another "On your iPad" location of your choice via its USB cable.

See here: Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2019 10:14 AM in response to Cphnew

If you wish to bypass OneDrive entirely, another option is to use iTunes' file Sharing option to transfer the files into the Microsoft Word app, or another "On your iPad" location of your choice via its USB cable.

See here: Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

Jan 1, 2020 9:47 AM in response to Cphnew

I'm confused, if the external drive connected directly to the iPad via USB, then what server are you trying to connect to?

The connect to server option is for networked drives or things like FTP servers. Not for locally connected hard drives.

Connecting it directly, should make it show up directly in the Files App, under Locations. The Connect to server option does not apply.

The only reason it may not show up when connected directly to the iPad is if its formatted in a way the iPad cannot read such as NTFS for Windows, or APFS for Mac. iPadOS supports HFS+, and Fat/exFat formats.

See here: Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPad - Apple Support

Dec 30, 2019 9:52 AM in response to Cphnew

Hello,

The best way to store your files on iPad is using iPad’s Files application. It works similar to how the Macintosh’s Finder or Windows Explorer work. You can sort, organize, and search for your files. 3rd party applications such as Microsoft Word can look to iPad’s Files application when you want to open a file. You can even access USB external storage devices from Files as well as access network file shares so you can wirelessly transfer data between your iPad and a Macintosh or Windows PC.

Dec 30, 2019 10:08 AM in response to Cphnew

If using OneDrive, you will need to install the OneDrive App on your iPad - as this provides the “bridge” between your iPad Files App and the OneDrive cloud storage. This iPadOS/iOS requirement applies equally to other cloud storage providers, such as Google, where the Google Drive App would be similarly installed on your iPad.

With the correct helper-App installed (OneDrive in this case), you can simply use your native Apple Files App to navigate to the OneDrive folder in which you Word files are stored - then simply copy them to your iPad local storage as needed. You can create local folders as you require.

I hope you find this helpful in resolving your file-transfer needs.

Jan 1, 2020 8:39 AM in response to QuickPost

Thank you for your helpful response. The procedure works with single files.

I do have some problems still: I have my pc files in foldes with approx 50 files in each folder - and the system can simply not handle this amount of data.

I also have the files on an external harddrive, but when I connect the harddrive to the iPad's usb C, and in Files tap More and then 'Select' and 'Connect to Server' - it asks for the server name. Which I don't know (in Window Explorer, you can choose the application).

Jan 1, 2020 12:03 PM in response to Phil0124

I used the 'connect to server' option because an Apple support page recommended it to get in contact with external drives. But thank you for a very useful information about various formats - you cannot read that in any Apple support page (as far as I have seen). My harddrive is formatted so I can use it with my pc, didn't know that Apple couldn't use the same formatting.

[Edited by Moderator]

How to transfer word files from pc to iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.