Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone XR speakerphone turns on randomly during call

During phone calls, the speakerphone will randomly cut on while the phone is up to my face. This is extremely deafening every single time this happens.

I'm running the iPhone XR with the most recent iOS update, but this is a problem I've had ever since I bought the XR a few months ago.

When I try googling how to disable the speakerphone entirely, I can only see questions where people are trying to enable, rather than disable it. I also read about a proximity sensor, but cannot figure out how to disable it either.

In short - how can I make sure my phone screen stays black during a call so the speakerphone doesn't activate while the headset is up to my ear?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 10:01 AM

There is a setting where if you don't put the phone up to your ear right away it automatically goes to speaker phone. I had to disable that setting. I am having trouble finding it online right now but that is what you need to do!

8 replies

Jan 3, 2020 11:16 AM in response to hensleya1

Hello, hensleya1!

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are having issues with your iPhone screen not turning off when on phone calls. I am here to help.

First, if you haven't already, go ahead and use this resource to Restart your iPhone.

I'd also recommend checking to see if there is a case or screen protector covering any part of the front facing camera; if so, please remove it and test for the behavior again.

Lastly, verify your iPhone is using the most recent iOS version and install any available updates if not: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the behavior continues after using these suggestions, reach out to Apple for additional assistance: Get Support

Cheers!

Iphone XR speakerphone turns on randomly during call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.