Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV 4K has micro-stutters with Netflix 24.00 fps content - will Apple offer true 24fps support?

I have recently observed that when my Apple TV 4K plays 24.000 fps 4K content I get small micro-stutters on playback of my LG C9 OLED display when using frame-rate matching. I don't see the stutters when the content is played on the TVs native Netflix app. Netflix has some titles (The Witcher is one) that are displayed in 24.000 FPS instead of 23.976 FPS in the North American market.

It seems that perhaps Apple is not allowing the ATV to handle 4K resolution playback at 24.000 FPS.

Is it on the Apple roadmap to support these frame-rates? I prefer using my ATV for content playback but it's annoying dealing with this problem and so I will have to resort to using the TVs native player for some material.

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 11:46 AM

The Apple Tv 4k definitely doesn't support 24.000 fps content. With framerate match on it's taking 24.000 fps content and playing back at 23.976 hz which is resulting in a very noticeable stutter every 42 seconds. Netlfix is putting out a bunch of 24.000 fps content for whatever reason (The Irishman, Bird Box, The Witcher) so it would be nice if Apple decided to support this framerate with the growing library thanks to Netflix. I'm having to use my webos app to play this content which I shouldn't have to do.

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2019 11:46 AM in response to jmpage2

The Apple Tv 4k definitely doesn't support 24.000 fps content. With framerate match on it's taking 24.000 fps content and playing back at 23.976 hz which is resulting in a very noticeable stutter every 42 seconds. Netlfix is putting out a bunch of 24.000 fps content for whatever reason (The Irishman, Bird Box, The Witcher) so it would be nice if Apple decided to support this framerate with the growing library thanks to Netflix. I'm having to use my webos app to play this content which I shouldn't have to do.

Dec 30, 2019 9:10 AM in response to vazandrew

Yes, frame-rate match is enabled and I see 23.976 coming into the TV. Supposedly though the title is supposed to be 24.000 FPS. If the ATV is adjusting the frame-rate from 24.000 to 23.976 then it would perfectly explain what I am seeing which is that once every several minutes there is a tiny motion stutter in the playback.

When I play the title from the TVs app there is no stutter.

Dec 30, 2019 11:48 AM in response to vazandrew

I and many others have and have been doing this since 2018. Here is a thread dedicated to this issue. Many people have already reported this. Unfortunately no big name journalists in the av community have picked it up and raised this issue for it to get mainstream attention.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2961262-apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-24-000-video.html#post55790896

Dec 30, 2019 2:29 PM in response to Tygeezy

You aren’t going to receive a response,

it is merely a means to give feedback.

Everyone that experiences it needs to be encouraged to report it as the more that do the better chance that it will be seen that many users are experiencing it and requires further investigation. Once that occurs and the issue has been resolved it will be pushed out via an update.

Dec 31, 2019 7:40 AM in response to jmpage2

I noticed this today while trying to watch The Witcher on Netflix with my Apple TV as well. Extremely annoying. Would be great it it could be at least acknowledged.

Edit: I just got off the phone will Apple support. They said they have no reports of this issue in their documentation. Basically gave me the run around to reset my Apple TV and call Netflix. I think what I was saying was a bit over his head.

Dec 31, 2019 9:45 AM in response to vazandrew

I also submitted detailed feedback. Maybe something will come of that.

The person I talked to from support seemed unwilling to acknowledge my diagnosis as a possible issue. Going down the support path they will have me reset my Apple TV & Reinstall all my apps which is a huge waste of time. When that doesn't work I will be told to talk to Netflix which will create an endless passing of the buck. How do you propose I get this escalated?

ATV 4K has micro-stutters with Netflix 24.00 fps content - will Apple offer true 24fps support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.