Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

netflix quality on apple TV

I have the TV and the apple TV4K (previous generation) connected to the same switch.

• Netflix directly on the TV using the android app: perfect
  • Amazon/HBO on Apple TV: perfect
  • Netflix on Apple TV: horrible, low quality, pixelization, blur, unwatchable

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

ps: this may not happen with all titles but is very noticeable in titles such as "the sandman" or the "the power of the dog".

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 1:01 PM

I feel like no one is listening to the actual problem. I have it too, every streaming service on AppleTV works great, except Netflix. I have the 4k Premium plan on Netflix, but that doesn't seem to matter. My AppleTV is connected via ethernet to the same network as my laptop, my laptop can play Netflix fine via the browser. I also tested streaming Netflix from my iPad to the AppleTV and it was fine. I think the issue is in the Netflix AppleTV app.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 1:01 PM in response to luis_rodrigues

I feel like no one is listening to the actual problem. I have it too, every streaming service on AppleTV works great, except Netflix. I have the 4k Premium plan on Netflix, but that doesn't seem to matter. My AppleTV is connected via ethernet to the same network as my laptop, my laptop can play Netflix fine via the browser. I also tested streaming Netflix from my iPad to the AppleTV and it was fine. I think the issue is in the Netflix AppleTV app.

Jan 25, 2023 12:14 AM in response to luis_rodrigues

Update: the Apple TV was using a 1080p display. There are other threads reporting issues with Netflix when using a 1080p display. The problem does not appear to occur if the Apple TV is connected to a 4K display. There is some bug when Netflix needs to output 4K content on 1080p. This bug is specific to the Netflix app (does not occur with other streaming apps).

Feb 3, 2023 7:43 AM in response to luis_rodrigues

Totally the same issue for me. Using a 4K display the problem is gone. BUT, I’ve bougth the apple TV, because I have a 1080p high end plasma display what I want to keep using since it has better picture quality like 4K OLEDs (at least for me). And this is the main purpose of an apple TV, right?

What I’ve observed, the issue only exists with streaming content sources in HDR, DolbyVision and 4K. Plain HD sources are OK.

Unfortunately Netflix refusing my trouble report… What I can do is to watch HBO Max or Amazon…

Dec 21, 2022 7:15 AM in response to luis_rodrigues

The quality of Netflix streams depends on the quality of the home network/internet connection, but also on the Netflix plan. Verify that the subscription on the TV app and Apple TV box are about the same subscription plan.

Plans and pricing - Netflix Help Center

Basic with ads: up to 720p / 1 screen
Basic: up to 720p / 1 screen
Standard: up to 1080p / 2 screens
Premium: up to 4K / 4 screens

Stream quality may also be set (lowered) in your account settings online. How to control how much data Netflix uses - Netflix Help Center

The two titles that you mentioned played fine for me, back in August and March.

Also see: Poor quality or distorted video - Netflix Help Center

Else try this for any misbehaving app:

1. Force-quit the app, then relaunch and try again.
  2. If the issue persists, force-quit the app, restart the device, then relaunch and try again.
  3. If the issue still persists, delete the app, re-download and try again.
  4. If the issue still persists, then contact the app developer for further assistance.

Apr 1, 2023 4:32 PM in response to luis_rodrigues

In order to solve my problem, the Netflix customer care was more interested in upselling premium 4K tear. I'll stop paying for the subscription. 

My internet speed is 200 MBits fiber, and I'm using Ethernet to connect my Apple TV. This only occurs with Netflix on Apple TV. The iPad and iPhone work just well with Netflix.

I tried different suggestions they not fixing my issue.

netflix quality on apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.