Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reparing/replacing Fusion Drive on 2012 iMac

I have a late 2012 iMac (21.5-inch screen, 16MB RAM) that is having drive problems: SMART status in Disk Utility indicates "Failing," and I'm experiencing more frequent spinning balloons, browser cache stalls, and very long start-ups. If I'm reading System Information correctly, it's the hard drive that's the problem, not the SSD drive. I've backed up everything I need. What is the cost/complexity of replacing one or both drives and maintaining the Fusion drive set-up as is (or maybe more capacity)? Less than cost of new/equivalent (non-Retina) iMac? Can an Apple store do this? Any advice appreciated.

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 4:21 PM

You will need to call your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to get pricing, we have no idea of the costs in your corner of the world. Your iMac is too old for an Apple Store to do the work, however an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider you should have no problem. Consider replacing the spinning HD with a SSD though.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2019 4:21 PM in response to Burbankite

You will need to call your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to get pricing, we have no idea of the costs in your corner of the world. Your iMac is too old for an Apple Store to do the work, however an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider you should have no problem. Consider replacing the spinning HD with a SSD though.

Reparing/replacing Fusion Drive on 2012 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.