Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion Drive Failure - Replace Questions

iMac late 2015 Fusion 11.4 2tb

Fusion drive has seemingly failed, refuses to boot. TDM reveals data is all there and I have current backups through TM & CCC.

What I would like to do is replace the HDD with SSD and split the fusion drive & use only the SSD.

I need to know specifically how to split these & is it possible to install the OS before the teardown? I have tried to DL Big Sur for bootable, but it keeps trying to install on the older MBP I am using.

The Fusion thing is confusing. Thank you very much in advance.

I realize it limits the speed but Im not really comfortable with tearing the thing down to access the blade SSD. The HDD replacement isn't too bad & I have the drive and adhesive kit.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 1:10 PM

Splitting a fusion drive can be done with Terminal commands, as can creating a fusion drive from new devices.

I found this guide on Lifewire recently that was much help to me as I was dealing with the fusion process.

How to Delete or Split your Mac's Fusion Drive - Lifewire

The act of creating or deleting (splitting) a fusion drive will wipe the devices, so you don't want to install the OS onto your drive beforehand.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2021 1:10 PM in response to Kokor1

Splitting a fusion drive can be done with Terminal commands, as can creating a fusion drive from new devices.

I found this guide on Lifewire recently that was much help to me as I was dealing with the fusion process.

How to Delete or Split your Mac's Fusion Drive - Lifewire

The act of creating or deleting (splitting) a fusion drive will wipe the devices, so you don't want to install the OS onto your drive beforehand.

Jul 26, 2021 10:45 AM in response to Kokor1

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Don't attempt to open the Mac for any upgrades. iMac was never intended to be opened by users, and one wrong error can result in a "brick" of a Mac. For this reason, please use an external SSD and run macOS from that. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

Jack

Jul 26, 2021 12:57 PM in response to Jack-19

Jack,

Thank you for your response. I understand the risks involved but I also have other motivation to open it up. What I assumed was the display darkening is actually dust accumulation in the lower corners. I never realized the vents were on the bottom and over time, this has gotten worse. I have removed the bulk of it with small vacuum, bit it didn't do much to the corners. I guess I should have known when I saw a tiny little spider crawling around in between the glass & the screen.

I really would rather not do it, but I can't stand looking at the dust.

Fusion Drive Failure - Replace Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.