Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch calories calculation

I have been cross country skiing and am wondering how the calories calculations work with the workout app. I first tried the cross country ski workout but it did not map my route (how to do that with the cross country skiing is also a question) so the second time I went out I tried the outdoor run workout. The calorie calculation doing the exact same thing is vastly different using the different workout apps. They are listed below:

Cross country skiing while selecting the workout activity to track:

Selecting the Cross Country Skiing workout - 698 active calories per hour

Selecting the Outdoor run workout - 224 active calories per hour

How can doing the same thing have such different calorie calculations depending on what activity I select to track it with?

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 2:59 AM

Different workouts use different algorythms to measure them,a fishing workout is not going to burn as many calories as a hiit workout so the watch has to allow for this,and yes there really is a fishing workout.Basically some workouts are more strenuous than others and the watch is trying to make allowances for this.Outdoor run and cross country skiing are vastly different workouts.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 2:59 AM in response to pmcvay

Different workouts use different algorythms to measure them,a fishing workout is not going to burn as many calories as a hiit workout so the watch has to allow for this,and yes there really is a fishing workout.Basically some workouts are more strenuous than others and the watch is trying to make allowances for this.Outdoor run and cross country skiing are vastly different workouts.

Apple watch calories calculation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.