Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Administrator Account Set Up for New iMac

When I got my new iMac, the dealer set up my username with the wrong spelling. I have then created a different administrator account and used till now (about 4 months now). Can I delete the 1st user and keep the 2nd user? Will home folder be changed accordingly after the name of 2nd user?

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 4:28 AM

isabelle1786 Said:

Yes, I can see the 1st user when I log in from the 2nd administrator account. Thank you for you help.

———-

Rid of Users; Use Time Machine Prior:

If Not Needed, Rid of the Other Users:

You are welcome. So, if the user you no longer need is still visible, rid of it through this new Administrator Account you created. If you don’t need that first Administrator Account that gave you this issue, delete that too. You should be fine, with just this single, new Administrator user.

Use Time Machine:

Be sure to *create a Time Machine Backup prior to proceed with the above. That way, you can have something to recover** your Mac from should anything go wrong with managing those accounts.

*Back up your Mac with Time Machine

**Restore your Mac from a backup

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 4:28 AM in response to isabelle1786

isabelle1786 Said:

Yes, I can see the 1st user when I log in from the 2nd administrator account. Thank you for you help.

———-

Rid of Users; Use Time Machine Prior:

If Not Needed, Rid of the Other Users:

You are welcome. So, if the user you no longer need is still visible, rid of it through this new Administrator Account you created. If you don’t need that first Administrator Account that gave you this issue, delete that too. You should be fine, with just this single, new Administrator user.

Use Time Machine:

Be sure to *create a Time Machine Backup prior to proceed with the above. That way, you can have something to recover** your Mac from should anything go wrong with managing those accounts.

*Back up your Mac with Time Machine

**Restore your Mac from a backup

Dec 31, 2019 1:31 AM in response to isabelle1786

isabelle1786 Said:

[...]Can I delete the 1st user and keep the 2nd user? Will home folder be changed accordingly after the name of 2nd user?

———-

Prior to This: Back up your Mac:

If this were me, I’d go about creating a Time Machine backup a of my Mac, so that I can have something to restore my Mac from, should anything go wrong with the user removal.

Deleting the User:

The user created by the dealer can only be deleted by another Administrator Account. So, as long as this new user you mention is an administrator m-type, then deletion is intended to proceed.

When deleted, you will get a prompt asking you what to save and will ask you whether or not to delete the user’s Home folder. Don’t save any files and select to delete the user’s Home folder. So, the home folder will move to your user, with only your settings.

Only your user will be usable, and your Home folder will remain installed and will pertain only to your user. The other user’s Home folder will be deleted. So, for privacy, deleting it seems wise.

Once All has succeeded create a new Time Machine Backup. You should be fine from there, with only your account remaining intact. You should be fine from there on out.

Dec 31, 2019 11:39 AM in response to isabelle1786

isabelle1786 Said:

"I have duplicated all files and folder in 2nd user account. Can I just deleted the initial home folder in this case?"

-------

Only Delete Via System Preferences:

Does the user still show when you log in from the new administrator? If so, just delete it that way, when prompted in System Preferences. Don't drag-and-drop the Home folder to the Trash and delete it, as that would do none other than damage the macOS.

If it does not show, then restore your Mac using the Time Machine backup, and then delete the user that way. All should be fine from there.

Deleting Administrator Account Set Up for New iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.