Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to play my own MP3 files (not purchased from Apple) on iPhone?

I have 100's of existing MP3 files which I have purchased legitimately from non-Apple sources. I have been able to play these files with no issue on Android and BlackBerry, but so far it seems impossible to play them on an iPhone device. Using a 3rd party SFTP client, I am able to download these MP3 files into the Files area on the iPhone, but no player I have tried is able to see them.

Can MP3 files obtained (legitimately) from non-Apple purchases be imported to and played on an iPhone, and if so, how?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 11:36 AM

Phile0124, thanks the VLC advice. However, VLC cannot see the folder under Files to which the files have been uploaded (and under which they will indeed play on an individual basis). I was able to get the files into Dropbox, but while VLC can connect to Dropbox, when I get down to where the actual MP3 files are, VLC says "no supported files".

I have noticed in reading recent reviews of a number of music players and file-manager type apps that many have undergone recent updates under which users can no longer see separately-downloaded media files and/or have seen that the apps are suddenly become much more limited in terms of the folders/directories they can access in general. One gets the impression that "someone" is pressing these developers across the board to limit functionality in order to more tightly control operations of the type I (and many others, seemingly) are trying to do.

I appreciate the advice here, and it has been an interesting few hours of learning, but not having something as simple as a universal file/directory browser, quite apart from the MP3 issue, seems like a crippling limitation of iOS currently, and one that has been done for some sort of corporate or DRM benefit, not mine. Too bad, since overall I feel iOS has the edge for look and feel, but I prefer not to be hogtied in this manner.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 11:36 AM in response to Phil0124

Phile0124, thanks the VLC advice. However, VLC cannot see the folder under Files to which the files have been uploaded (and under which they will indeed play on an individual basis). I was able to get the files into Dropbox, but while VLC can connect to Dropbox, when I get down to where the actual MP3 files are, VLC says "no supported files".

I have noticed in reading recent reviews of a number of music players and file-manager type apps that many have undergone recent updates under which users can no longer see separately-downloaded media files and/or have seen that the apps are suddenly become much more limited in terms of the folders/directories they can access in general. One gets the impression that "someone" is pressing these developers across the board to limit functionality in order to more tightly control operations of the type I (and many others, seemingly) are trying to do.

I appreciate the advice here, and it has been an interesting few hours of learning, but not having something as simple as a universal file/directory browser, quite apart from the MP3 issue, seems like a crippling limitation of iOS currently, and one that has been done for some sort of corporate or DRM benefit, not mine. Too bad, since overall I feel iOS has the edge for look and feel, but I prefer not to be hogtied in this manner.

Dec 31, 2019 9:19 AM in response to deputycleric

This is a user-to-user forum. Apple does not participate and does not actively monitor the contents of posts. Decorum and terms of use monitoring is almost exclusively by forum members at level 2 (150 points) and above, who report can potential issues to the hosts to follow up. This is the most active support site on the Internet, with thousands of posts a day. It is beyond the capability of the small forum host staff to read everything (or even a small sample of everything).

So it is safest to assume that Apple will not see your post. You can provide direct feedback to Apple by going to https://apple.com/feedback.

Dec 31, 2019 9:11 AM in response to deputycleric

The Files App is perfectly capable of playing mp3 files directly.

Outside of that there are a number of MP3 players in the store that you can transfer the music files into.

VLC for instance can access the Files App and add the MP3 files to its audio library. Or access files from an FTP server directly.

See here: ‎VLC for Mobile on the App Store

Dec 31, 2019 9:09 AM in response to deputycleric

Enjoy the Android if that works better for you. But, this is why I'll stay with Apple. Apple security may not be as simple as the other platform, but in doing things they way they do (using iTunes for example to transfer music to your iPhone) ensures the data you have on your phone is the most secure. Sadly, Android has never taken security to the level Apple has.

Dec 31, 2019 1:13 PM in response to deputycleric

deputycleric wrote:

Not having a universal file/directory browser is the primary reason that iOS is as secure as it is. You cannot provide access to any file from any app and still have a secure system. And, in fact, iOS does not use files at all internally. All data are stored in databases owned by the app that created the data, and that data is inaccessible to any other app unless you as a user grant explicit permission (for example, granting permission for Whatsapp to access your contacts). Which is why there’s a constant stream of hacks and trojan apps in the Google Play Store that can steal data. Google swats them as soon as they hear about them, but by then it’s usually too late. If you are willing to give up security for a little flexibility in how you access content then by all means go with an Android-based phone.

How to play my own MP3 files (not purchased from Apple) on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.