Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange Extension

An extension called ProSearch has suddenly found its way into my safari browser and shows on my home page. I cannot locate the extension anywhere in my list of extensions or apps. Consequently, I cannot uninstall. Also, I cannot change my home page in the browser preferences (greyed out). An email to ProSearch bounced back. Anybody have a similar problem?

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 11:56 AM

You can check your System Preferences if there is a created Profile. If you don't remember setting up any profiles for your mac, we would advise to remove these created profile. Just click Profiles and it will open the list of configuration then you may delete all of them. After removing all the configuration profile, it will ask you for your password to allow the changes.

Then please try to restart your mac. After the restart, check your Safari's preferences if you can now modify its default settings and check if ProSearch still exists.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 11:56 AM in response to figuy

You can check your System Preferences if there is a created Profile. If you don't remember setting up any profiles for your mac, we would advise to remove these created profile. Just click Profiles and it will open the list of configuration then you may delete all of them. After removing all the configuration profile, it will ask you for your password to allow the changes.

Then please try to restart your mac. After the restart, check your Safari's preferences if you can now modify its default settings and check if ProSearch still exists.

Dec 31, 2019 12:33 PM in response to figuy

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

http://www.besttechtips.org/how-to-remove-search-prosearchtip-com-from-mac/

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-search-prosearchtip-com/

Safari Homepage setting greyed out 

Dec 31, 2019 1:19 PM in response to figuy

Eric's advice.

Safari Extensions now get installed into Safari 12 and later by simply running an application specifically designed for this purpose. This is especially dangerous if you have Safari configured to automatically open "Safe" downloaded files in Safari Preferences : General, and you thought you were downloading one thing and got another. Avoid download aggregation sites and get the item directly from the developer's site.

That Safari Extension (Safari Preferences : Extensions) may have an uninstall button — or not.

Strange Extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.