Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone suddenly has other people’s contacts

My iPhone has my daughters contacts and all of mine are gone. No one else is logged into my iPhone account.

I’ve changed my password in ICloud but there is no option to restore my contacts.

has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 5:46 AM

Contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

1. How many Contacts account (email client server) you have?
  2. What is your default Contacts Account?
  3. Which email account you are using to store Contacts?

• See the GIF below for Contacts and Default Account

• Learn how to add an email account and make it default (Watch the GIF)
  • This example is for Gmail but the process remains same for all Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 5:46 AM in response to jemmajg

Contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

1. How many Contacts account (email client server) you have?
  2. What is your default Contacts Account?
  3. Which email account you are using to store Contacts?

• See the GIF below for Contacts and Default Account

• Learn how to add an email account and make it default (Watch the GIF)
  • This example is for Gmail but the process remains same for all Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

Jan 1, 2020 6:29 AM in response to jemmajg

Does your daughter have her own Apple ID? If you share one Apple ID and you both synchronize Contacts via iCloud, this can happen.

Do you have a backup from before the time you lost your Contacts? If so, you can restore from that backup. You will lose messages and phone logs newer than that image, but you should get your Contacts back.

Also, while many people choose to store their Contacts on their email servers, many more do not. My Contacts are stored exclusively on my iPhone (and iPad, same Apple ID) and not on any of the five email servers I use.

iPhone suddenly has other people’s contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.