Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant endlessly "Looking for other computers" after connecting to Time Machine

Hello! I have time machine backups of my Catalina iMac on my time capsule. I launch Migration Assistant to restore onto new MacBook. Migration Assistant sees the Time Capsule and prompts me for device password. The password is accepted but Migration Assistant keeps "looking for other computers" rather showing me a list of backups. I've used my MacBook's System Preferences/Security to allow Migration Assistant full disk access. I can use Finder's Go/Connect to Server and mount the time capsule and see the archive file after authenticating as my iMac's administrator. Airport Utility shows the time capsule's file sharing is secured with device password. Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 11:37 AM

The proper way to restore files backed up by Time Machine is to use the Time Machine app in the Applications folder. Migration Assistant is not a backup and restore utility. See How to Use Migration Assistant with macOS Catalina and How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac.

See the following about using Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine and Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 11:37 AM in response to _WP_

The proper way to restore files backed up by Time Machine is to use the Time Machine app in the Applications folder. Migration Assistant is not a backup and restore utility. See How to Use Migration Assistant with macOS Catalina and How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac.

See the following about using Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine and Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

Jan 1, 2020 12:25 PM in response to _WP_

The first two are specifically about using MA. But MA is not a general backup/restore tool. That is what Time Machine and the Time Machine application are intended. This does not mean that you cannot use MA with a Time Machine backup, however, MA is generally used when you need to transfer user accounts and/or third-party applications from another computer. MA can perform a full system transfer from a Time Machine full system backup when restoring the backup to another computer or another partition on the source computer.

You haven't provided information on your specific need so as to inform you of what you should do. Hence, I provided links for both Time Machine and MA.

Jan 2, 2020 8:06 AM in response to Kappy

I need to restore the Time Machine backup I have of my old iMac onto my new MacBook. This morning I found that if I mount the Time Capsule with SMB rather than the default AFP, finder shows the backup bundle and catalog contents. When mounted as AFP it just shows a 100 Gb file. My iMac had a APFS formatted SSD. The Time Capsule was a spinning disk but the backup process seemed to work hourly as expected.

Running MA seems to log out of network volumes and quit applications. I'm not sure if AFP or SMB protocol is used when MA finds and mounts my time capsule.

Jan 2, 2020 10:28 AM in response to _WP_

The default should be SMB, now. AFP has been deprecated. I think it is still there for older machines that cannot work well with SMB or don't work at all.

Be sure to read through the article on using MA because you can select two options for the connection but one is confusing and doesn't work. I suspect that may be your problem so you may want to try the other option to see if you have better luck. Also, MA should be run on the Target, not the Source, machine.

Migration Assistant endlessly "Looking for other computers" after connecting to Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.