Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant: can't chose between my two computers on my Time Machine Backup

Hello,

I have installed a new hard drive on my MacBook Pro. I now want to restore my old system.

I launch the Migration Assistant which locates my Time Machine Hard drive.

However, it only shows one of the 2 Time Machine backups that are saved on my hard drive (my wife's computer and mine).

I can see and access my computer's Time Machine using finder, but it seems that Migration Assistant does not recognize it. It is really frustrating.

Anyone knows a way around this?

Many thanks!

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 12:14 PM

yann99 wrote:

Hello,

I have installed a new hard drive on my MacBook Pro. I now want to restore my old system.

However, it only shows one of the 2 Time Machine backups that are saved on my hard drive (my wife's computer and mine).

I can see and access my computer's Time Machine using finder, but it seems that Migration Assistant does not recognize it. It is really frustrating.

Many thanks!

External drives..(?)

TM likes to have its own dedicated backup drive.

It is always advised to have more than one single backup modality, more than one drive; often stated as:

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Holding the Option key and clicking the TM icon—>Browse Other Backup Disk

Restore/Recover all your files from a Time Machine backup

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/recover-all-your-files-mh15638/12.0/mac/12.0

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 12:14 PM in response to yann99

yann99 wrote:

Hello,

Many thanks!

External drives..(?)

TM likes to have its own dedicated backup drive.

It is always advised to have more than one single backup modality, more than one drive; often stated as:

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Holding the Option key and clicking the TM icon—>Browse Other Backup Disk

Restore/Recover all your files from a Time Machine backup

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/recover-all-your-files-mh15638/12.0/mac/12.0

Migration Assistant: can't chose between my two computers on my Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.