Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate time machine backup to new Mac

I used Migration Assistant to set up a new MacBook Pro 14" 2021 from an iMac late 2015 running latest Big Sur. With both machines shut down and powered off, I moved my Time Machine drive to the MB, booted up and in TM Preferences selected the drive for new backups.

When I enter Time Machine, it does not recognize the old backups. It says there are none and wants to start an entirely new set of backups.

I'm thinking of changing the name of the backups folder on the backup drive from

Backups.backupdb/Harvey's iMac

to

Backups.backupdb/Harvey's MacBook Pro

Will that work? If not, is there another way to integrate the old backups into Time Machine?

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 12:22 PM

Update: I didn't give TM a chance to do its job. When I asked for a fresh backup, TM recognized the backups from the old computer and asked whether I wanted to claim them for this computer or to start a new backup file. I chose to claim the old backups. TM analyzed 2TB+ of data and rewrote the whole thing. Took about an hour or so.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 12:22 PM in response to kabaker

Update: I didn't give TM a chance to do its job. When I asked for a fresh backup, TM recognized the backups from the old computer and asked whether I wanted to claim them for this computer or to start a new backup file. I chose to claim the old backups. TM analyzed 2TB+ of data and rewrote the whole thing. Took about an hour or so.

Feb 25, 2022 8:35 AM in response to kabaker

kabaker wrote:

I used Migration Assistant to set up a new MacBook Pro 14" 2021 from an iMac late 2015 running latest Big Sur. With both machines shut down and powered off, I moved my Time Machine drive to the MB, booted up and in TM Preferences selected the drive for new backups.

When I enter Time Machine, it does not recognize the old backups. It says there are none and wants to start an entirely new set of backups.

I'm thinking of changing the name of the backups folder on the backup drive from
Backups.backupdb/Harvey's iMac
to
Backups.backupdb/Harvey's MacBook Pro

Will that work? If not, is there another way to integrate the old backups into Time Machine?

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Feb 25, 2022 8:57 AM in response to kabaker

If your new Mac inherits your backup history:

You can move the backup history from one Mac to another, but after the new Mac “inherits” the backup history, you can’t use the backup history on the original Mac.

If you plan to continue to use your old Mac, click Create New Backup to preserve the backup history and start separate backups for the new Mac.

Above from:

If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support

Feb 25, 2022 10:46 AM in response to tbirdvet

Not what I hoped for. This allows me to see the directory on the TM drive, but not with TM functionality. I can drill down through the directories – as in Finder – and select a file to open and save as new, yes. But it's not the same as traveling back through time of a given directory and using the "Restore" function.

Migrate time machine backup to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.