Time Machine: move backups from an old drive to a new one.

I searched this topic here and haven't found anything helpful in earlier posts on this subject. One such recommended, after all the formatting procedures for the new drive are done, copying Backups.backupdb to the new drive after it has been added in the Settings > Time Machine panel. My old LaCie has no such file on it.

The old drive is unstable and can't be repaired but still does regular backups. Has the procedure for accomplishing this changed in Ventura?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Posted on May 28, 2023 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 4:15 PM

John Dwight wrote:

I searched this topic here and haven't found anything helpful in earlier posts on this subject. One such recommended, after all the formatting procedures for the new drive are done, copying Backups.backupdb to the new drive after it has been added in the Settings > Time Machine panel. My old LaCie has no such file on it.

The old drive is unstable and can't be repaired but still does regular backups. Has the procedure for accomplishing this changed in Ventura?

Ventura compared to what (?)

The change comes with the new apfs—Apple File System (APFS), the default file system for Mac computers using macOS 10.13 or later, features strong encryption, space sharing, snapshots, fast directory sizing, and improved file system fundamentals.

No, not going to happen "Time Machine: move backups from an old drive to a new one"

Start a new backup on a new drive.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2023 4:15 PM in response to John Dwight

John Dwight wrote:

Ventura compared to what (?)

The change comes with the new apfs—Apple File System (APFS), the default file system for Mac computers using macOS 10.13 or later, features strong encryption, space sharing, snapshots, fast directory sizing, and improved file system fundamentals.

No, not going to happen "Time Machine: move backups from an old drive to a new one"

Start a new backup on a new drive.

Time Machine: move backups from an old drive to a new one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.