Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant can't find Time Machine backup drive

I'm replacing an older Mac (10.6.8) with a new iMac. I first attempted to restore the backup during install, but even though the Time Machine backups were listed properly, when I selected the newest one it said I couldn't restore it because the source wasn't the same type of computer (it was a Mac Pro).

I then tried to use Migration Assistant, however it doesn't see the drive at all. It just keeps searching. The drive mounts normally in the OS, and disk utility says it's healthy. Is there a way to get Migration Assistant to see this backup drive? Is the only option to copy any files I want off the drive manualy?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 1:57 PM

You can use Time Machine to select and restore your data files. It TM doesn't recognize your TM drive hold down the Option key and select "Browser Other Backup Discs..." and select the same drive again.

Similar questions

1 reply

Migration Assistant can't find Time Machine backup drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.