Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail copying, not moving, messages

Recently Apple Mail on my Mac has started copying, not moving, messages when I drag them from my Inbox to the appropriate mailbox. I can then delete the message in the inbox, but prior to this it simply did as I wanted and moved the message. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS- I this has any bearing on the issue I also have the same Apple Mail account on my iPhone and iPad.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 9:17 AM

Hi bobio,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to move an email to a different inbox in the Mail app of your Mac. I'll be happy to help.

I recommend restarting your Mac in safe mode. This will help perform certain checks and prevent some software from automatically loading. In addition, it verifies the startup disk and more. While in safe mode, check to see if you can move your emails to a different inbox on your Mac. Then, you can restart your Mac as normal and see if that helps resolve the issue you're experiencing. Here's additional details of safe mode and how to perform this step: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If that doesn't help, the next step is to rebuild the mailbox. This is an appropriate step that may help: Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac

Kind regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2020 9:17 AM in response to bobio

Hi bobio,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to move an email to a different inbox in the Mail app of your Mac. I'll be happy to help.

I recommend restarting your Mac in safe mode. This will help perform certain checks and prevent some software from automatically loading. In addition, it verifies the startup disk and more. While in safe mode, check to see if you can move your emails to a different inbox on your Mac. Then, you can restart your Mac as normal and see if that helps resolve the issue you're experiencing. Here's additional details of safe mode and how to perform this step: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If that doesn't help, the next step is to rebuild the mailbox. This is an appropriate step that may help: Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac

Kind regards.

Apple Mail copying, not moving, messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.