Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 antivirus and Imac

I have an Imac Catalina. Machine late 2015 build. Processor: 1.6 GHz Dual- Core Intel core i5. Memory: 8GB 1867 DDR3

Have been running AVG antivirus. Recently installed an app called "Etrecheck" ,which checks the entire system.

After running Etrecheck, the report advised that there was an issue caused by having more than one antivirus installed .IE the built in Mac app ,plus the third party app. I removed the third party anti virus, but remain concerned

My question: How reliable is the built-in Mac app in providing a full antivirus protection ?

If I decide to reinstall a third party anti virus will it be in conflict with the built in app?

How can I disable the built in antivirus?

OR are there free antivirus apps which will run in harmony with the Imac ?

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 4:05 PM

It's completely reliable.

There are no known viruses in the wild that can infect an up to date installation of macOS.

No 3rd party antivirus app will be effective at all. They can't do what they claim for the same reason that viruses are unable to affect macOS. The OS is completely locked down and sandboxed.

There are adware and other forms of malware, but they require your cooperation to install. No antivirus application can stop you from actively granting permission to install malicious software.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 4:05 PM in response to codger47

It's completely reliable.

There are no known viruses in the wild that can infect an up to date installation of macOS.

No 3rd party antivirus app will be effective at all. They can't do what they claim for the same reason that viruses are unable to affect macOS. The OS is completely locked down and sandboxed.

There are adware and other forms of malware, but they require your cooperation to install. No antivirus application can stop you from actively granting permission to install malicious software.

Jan 1, 2020 4:42 PM in response to codger47

The AVG app is a total waste, MAC OS is extremely secure and does not require nor benefit from ANY third party AV, cleaning or other third party “maintenance “ apps. Simply keep MAC OS up to date and it will be stable and secure. Unfortunately most AV apps have the exact opposite effect users desire, they make the OS slow, unstable and have many other adverse effects.

2020 antivirus and Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.