Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to multiple IMAP servers.

I have four email accounts. After going out of town for a few days, today on return for some reason my IMAP accounts, all four of them, will not connect. Therefore, it's not the individual servers, but something in Mail. Here's a screenshot from Connection Doctor. Help??

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 8:06 PM

Hi, was the Mac out of town with you?

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 8:06 PM in response to davidra

Hi, was the Mac out of town with you?

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Jan 2, 2020 6:41 AM in response to BDAqua

Hesitant to post anything about outcome since several things seemed to have worked, then disconnection again, BUT....I ran MalwareBytes, found 15 threats (including an adware problem I had with a popup yesterday). I removed them, rebooted the router, restarted and right now things are back to normal. On looking at the advanced settings, the SOCKS proxy isn't checked now. But it seemed that this happened after a previous restart, so I'm holding my breath that this sticks.....

Jan 2, 2020 4:08 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks. The iMac didn't go anywhere; it was just shut down for two days.

This is a weirdly intermittent problem. Sometimes clicking on the little triangle corrects the problem, sometimes not right away. All of them get online after a while, then will randomly disconnect at different times. This morning when the iMac woke, the iCloud account was offline; a few minutes later the Yahoo account went offline, then without doing anything both came back online within three minutes. Meanwhile my wifi is working perfectly, so it's not that. Before I get into the above suggestions, would this correct a problem that was not related to moving to a different location?

Cannot connect to multiple IMAP servers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.