Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL IMAP server connection to Mail fails intermittently

Over several months, the Mail connection to the AOL (Verizon) IMAP server fails to connect. The Connection Doctor error message says check the userid & password. The SMTP side works. Eventually it will connect, but will drop out again hours or days later. All of the server URLs, port numbers, userid, password, etc are correct, and have been working for years.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 8:22 AM

Stephen Gerke wrote:

Over several months, the Mail connection to the AOL (Verizon) IMAP server fails to connect. The Connection Doctor error message says check the userid & password. The SMTP side works. Eventually it will connect, but will drop out again hours or days later. All of the server URLs, port numbers, userid, password, etc are correct, and have been working for years.

Sounds like an AOL/Verizon issue— I would contact their Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates

If it is a local issue in the mail app—for problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account(s) from the Mail.app, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Stephen Gerke

Stephen Gerke wrote:

Sounds like an AOL/Verizon issue— I would contact their Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates

If it is a local issue in the mail app—for problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account(s) from the Mail.app, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

AOL IMAP server connection to Mail fails intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.