Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP F4440 Deskjet

after I installed OS Catalina 10.15.2 and updated my printer driver to 5.1, I'm unable to print to my printer.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 6:56 PM

Tstud1 Said:

It's not wireless, it's USB

———-

Thank you Fir Clarifying that.

Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for USBi) become corrupted, in the meanwhile. So, reset both on your Mac. See where it goes from there. It’s worth a go.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 6:56 PM in response to Tstud1

Tstud1 Said:

———-

Thank you Fir Clarifying that.

Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for USBi) become corrupted, in the meanwhile. So, reset both on your Mac. See where it goes from there. It’s worth a go.

Jan 1, 2020 5:25 PM in response to Tstud1

Tstud1 Said:

HP F4440 Deskjet: after I installed OS Catalina 10.15.2 and updated my printer driver to 5.1, I'm unable to print to my printer.

———-

Remove the Printer:

Remove the printer, using System Preferences. Next. restart the Mac, Then Try a new install. Get the Drivers here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-f4400-all-in-one-printer-series/3742084/model/3837403

Jan 1, 2020 7:13 PM in response to Tstud1

Tstud Said:

———-

A Few More Thoughts on this:

(If one of the below methods work, please reply back with which one worked, to spread the word).

• Have you Safely Removed the printer?
  1. Drag: Its icon to the Trash
  2. Stud Down: the Mac
  3. Unplug: the USB cable from both
  4. Power on: the Mac
  5. Shut Down: the Mac
  6. Plug in: the USB cable to both
  7. Power on: the Mac
  8. Try Printing Something

• Boot Into Safe Mode:

If that is of no use... Boot into Safe Mode attempting a new print job (Hold down shift key upon boot).

• Create a New Administrator User:

If that is of no success, create a new Administrator user attempting a new print job.

• Try this Printer on a Different Device:

See if printing from this printer after connecting it to a different device will work.

• Use a New USB Cable:

If nothing above works, use a new USB cable.

• A Dead Device....

If all of this does not work, chat with the manufacturer. Getting a new printer may be much less that getting your Mac serviced.

Happy New Year too! :)

Jan 1, 2020 6:20 PM in response to Tstud1

Tstud1 Said:

HP F4440 Deskjet: That didn't do it. My computer connects to the printer and acts like it is going to work but then says that it is "waiting for printer to become available."

Check the printer itself. Be certain it is connected to the same SSID. Some Routers Broadcast 2.4GHz and some broadcast 5GHz, and some broadcast both.

———-

Thank you for the follow up.

Is the Printer on the Same Network?:

So, it might have the same network name, but on the different frequency. If a printer from early last decade (2010s) then it may be 5 GHz (Wireless N).

HP F4440 Deskjet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.