Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iPhone to Mac – Photos app asks to IMPORT thousands of photos which are already on iCloud Photo

Recently switched on iCloud Photos to sync photos to all my devices. Everything uploaded fine and distributed photos to my iPhone and iPad without much problem.

However when I now connect my iPhone or iPad to my Mac, the Photos app asks to "Import" thousands of "new photos" from my phone which are already on my devices and were imported from iCloud Photos.

Is this normal behaviour?

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 7:35 AM

This is unfortunately normal. You should not mix the two method of importing - iCloud Photos and importing by USB. When your iPhone is downloading photos from iCloud, they will continually be appearing as new files, because they are not exactly the same files you already synced to your Mac from iCloud.

What are the settings on your Phone in the Settings > Photos >TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section? Is it set to "Most Compatible" or "Keep originals"? If you are using "Most Compatible"; try to change this to "Keep Original"? Then you may be seeing less "New" photos, because the iPhone will not convert each and every image from HEIC to JPEG.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 7:35 AM in response to DeeRun

This is unfortunately normal. You should not mix the two method of importing - iCloud Photos and importing by USB. When your iPhone is downloading photos from iCloud, they will continually be appearing as new files, because they are not exactly the same files you already synced to your Mac from iCloud.

What are the settings on your Phone in the Settings > Photos >TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section? Is it set to "Most Compatible" or "Keep originals"? If you are using "Most Compatible"; try to change this to "Keep Original"? Then you may be seeing less "New" photos, because the iPhone will not convert each and every image from HEIC to JPEG.

Connecting iPhone to Mac – Photos app asks to IMPORT thousands of photos which are already on iCloud Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.