Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems syncing my PC and Iphone music libraries - now that I have signed up to Apple Music

Has anyone had trouble syncing their music libraries once they have signed up to Apple Music? For years I have kept my large, old, venerable iTunes library (with both downloaded and uploaded music) on my PC (with Windows 10) successfully synced with my Iphone. Since I signed up for Apple Music (on a free 6 month trial) a couple of days ago uploads - from CDs - have stopped syncing across to my phone. Downloaded tracks from the iTunes store are synced across but not the uploaded stuff. Apple support took me through a lot of moves - including signing up to iTunes Match - but they all seem to hinge around clicking on 'Sync library' from the Edit>preferences>General path in iTunes on my PC. But I don't see a 'sync library' option when I follow that path. Anybody recognise this problem? Anybody solved it? I am a bit obsessive about keeping the same music across both devices!

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 11:18 AM

On older versions of iTunes Sync Library reads (more sensibly IMO) as iCloud Music Library. When the feature is enabled on an iOS device you no longer sync music with the library directly, but instead enable the option in both iTunes and your device so that changes to one are mirrored in the other. For this to work properly all of the media in your library needs to have been matched or uploaded. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for background. Resolve issues with content that is marked as waiting or error. You don't need a subscription to iTunes Match in addition to Apple Music. * Contact Apple Support again and ask them to cancel that purchase and issue a refund, it should not have been recommended to you.

* From Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support:

If you have an Apple Music membership, you get all of the benefits of iTunes Match, plus access to the entire Apple Music catalog. You can also get a Family Membership to share the catalog with your family members. Learn more about joining Apple Music.

tt2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 11:18 AM in response to duatiga23

On older versions of iTunes Sync Library reads (more sensibly IMO) as iCloud Music Library. When the feature is enabled on an iOS device you no longer sync music with the library directly, but instead enable the option in both iTunes and your device so that changes to one are mirrored in the other. For this to work properly all of the media in your library needs to have been matched or uploaded. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for background. Resolve issues with content that is marked as waiting or error. You don't need a subscription to iTunes Match in addition to Apple Music. * Contact Apple Support again and ask them to cancel that purchase and issue a refund, it should not have been recommended to you.

* From Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support:

If you have an Apple Music membership, you get all of the benefits of iTunes Match, plus access to the entire Apple Music catalog. You can also get a Family Membership to share the catalog with your family members. Learn more about joining Apple Music.

tt2

Problems syncing my PC and Iphone music libraries - now that I have signed up to Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.