Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac 21.5 Storage

I have a Large 2015 21.5" iMac with a 2TB Fusion hard drive. I went to see about updating and it looks like the biggest drive I can get in a new 21.5" is 1TB, either Fusion or SSD.

Is 1TB really the largest capacity you can get on a new 21.5" iMac?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 1:22 PM

Yes, the largest internal storage on 21.5" iMacs is 1 TB of SSD or Fusion. If you need additional capacity you can add external HD's and or order a 27" iMac which has up to 3 TB of Fusion drive storage or 2 TB of SSD storage.

8 replies

Jan 2, 2020 1:57 PM in response to kjwsr

If you want, you can go with the Base Storage, and then add an extra Internal SSD into your iMac of whatever size you please, find an online "upgrading storage in iMac 21.5 4k 2019" guide, and user upgrade the storage. If you don't want to, then unfortunately it is capped at 1TB.

Since the HDD is user upgradeable, here is a guide for the 2017 model, which has identical instructions to the 2019

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+Retina+4K+Display+(2017)+Hard+Drive+Replacement/92700

Jan 2, 2020 4:23 PM in response to rkaufmann87

The OP is aware of the relationship between warranties and opened cases. As such he is loathe to open cases 😄 Guess I’ll either have to make more room on my desk or off load some stuff to the cloud.

I remember when I bought my first PC. It had a 500MB hard drive and people told me I was nuts, I’d never need that much storage. Pass the floppies please...

New iMac 21.5 Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.