how to get increase iMac 24 storage

I plan to replace my iMac 27” (late 2012) with a new 24” iMac. My current iMac has 3TB storage but the new 24” iMac has only 2TB for a high end machine. What can I do to to maintain 3TB storage capability? Is there some way to integrate an external drive into the storage capacity of the new computer. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 3:06 PM

Hi there!

You could use an external storage device, such as a LaCie 2TB Mobile SSD Secure USB-C Drive - Gray - Apple, to store large files and libraries on it to reduce used space on your Mac.

Another option is to get a different Mac model, such as a Mac mini with M2 Pro, configure it with 4TB of storage, and pair it with a Studio Display - Apple.

Jack

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 3:06 PM in response to lymanfrommo

Hi there!

You could use an external storage device, such as a LaCie 2TB Mobile SSD Secure USB-C Drive - Gray - Apple, to store large files and libraries on it to reduce used space on your Mac.

Another option is to get a different Mac model, such as a Mac mini with M2 Pro, configure it with 4TB of storage, and pair it with a Studio Display - Apple.

Jack

Jun 25, 2023 6:16 PM in response to lymanfrommo

If you've got a lot of data that does not need the speed of a SSD, you could consider an external desktop hard drive. Those are available in capacities up to about 20 TB or so.

Even bus-powered notebook hard drives come in capacities of up to 5 TB.

Whatever you use for primary storage, be sure to get additional drives for backup.

If you want to choose your own internal drive mechanism (e.g., to be sure that you got a drive mechanism that uses Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR), and not Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR)), you could get an enclosure like this one and (with a bit of care) install your own drive mechanism.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro

OWC sells this either as an enclosure, or with a hard drive pre-installed. (I don't know whether the drives they pre-install are CMR or SMR.)

Jun 26, 2023 11:57 AM in response to lymanfrommo

I received replies from Servant of Cats, tbirdvet, and Jack-19 and all provided clear and excellent suggestions. I now have much better understanding of what I need consider to handle the issue. All came almost immediately after my post and I appreciate that. Although each had a different approach, they were all correct answers. Thank you all. Regards, Lyman

Jun 26, 2023 1:57 PM in response to lymanfrommo

I found the 24 inch iMac too limiting in screen size and purchased a new M2 Mac mini Pro with 32 GB RAM and a 1 TB internal drive, which is fine for my needs. These can be configured in 1, 2, 4, and 8 TB internal storage at time of purchase. Keyboard and mouse extra, as is the LG 32-inch 4K HDMI Ultrafine display I am using though it will be your personal taste as to a 27-in or 32-in display choice. Once you use the latter, you won't want the 27-in screen.

how to get increase iMac 24 storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.