Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages not activating properly

I just changed my phone number and upgraded to a new phone (XR). When logging into my Apple ID, I encountered a problem when turning on the iMessage and FaceTime where it would not activate. I have tried resetting the network/carrier settings, logging out and back in to Apple ID, turning the iPhone off and back on (multiple times), changing the Apple ID to a different email address, etc. and basically everything I could find from other threads. In the iMessage, it appears to have the correct number in the send/receive (it is grayed out), but it says “activating” and never changes. I have tried clicking “use Apple ID for iMessage”, and I have the option to “use ID” or “use other aid”. Neither one works. When click to share name and photo (defaulted off), it will not let me because it says that the iCloud and iMessage ID’s are different. I have checked everywhere I know, but everything appears to match to me. This is frustrating though, because I have thought I had the problem solved and it was logged in but then it kicked me out after sending a text (multiple times). Can someone please help me fix this problem? Thank you!

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

iMessages not activating properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.