Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain security flaw in older macs

Hi there!

iCloud Keychain has a HUGE security breach in older macs and Apple doesn't seem to care. At any new devices with biometrics, when you autofill a form, it'll ask for your biometric authentication or your password. At older models, before macs with touch id, it just fills it, it doesn't ask you for any user's password. If you try to check all of your passwords in safari preferences, it'll ask for your user's password.

How could it be possible that it wouldn't happen when we autofill a form? Is it just a way to force us to buy the newer models when the older one is perfectly fine? C'mon, Apple! Fix this! It's SO simple and you already ask for the user's password when we try to check our saved ones!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 5:29 PM

fpaganelli wrote:

Hi there!
iCloud Keychain has a HUGE security breach in older macs and Apple doesn't seem to care. At any new devices with biometrics, when you autofill a form, it'll ask for your biometric authentication or your password. At older models, before macs with touch id, it just fills it, it doesn't ask you for any user's password. If you try to check all of your passwords in safari preferences, it'll ask for your user's password.

Actually, that’s not correct. I have a fairly recent Mac, and it autofills passwords and other fields on web pages without requiring authentication. The authentication is the fact that I am logged in to the Mac as a user. If the Mac sleeps it asks for authentication when I unlock it.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 5:29 PM in response to fpaganelli

fpaganelli wrote:

Hi there!

Actually, that’s not correct. I have a fairly recent Mac, and it autofills passwords and other fields on web pages without requiring authentication. The authentication is the fact that I am logged in to the Mac as a user. If the Mac sleeps it asks for authentication when I unlock it.

iCloud Keychain security flaw in older macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.