Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two problems about syncing music to Apple Watch

I can't seem to sync a third playlist to my Apple Watch 4, running the latest OS.

I've tried turning the watch and my iPhone 7 off and restarting them, but this doesn't help. I go to the Music area of the Watch app on my iPhone, tap on Add Music..., choose the playlist, the + turns into a check mark and then nothing happens. The playlist I chose has the music on my iPhone, not in the Cloud. The watch is being charged as I do this.

Also, I see articles about how to increase the amount of the memory on the watch that can be used for music and it always says to go to the Music part of the Watch app on the iPhone, but when I go there, there's no way to select how much memory is used for music on the Watch. Is this now accessed somewhere else?

Thanks in advance

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 3:14 AM

OK, so I finally got on the phone and spoke to an Apple rep. It turns out that Genius Playlists can't be synced to the watch. It's too bad since I always make Genius Playlists because I don't want to add songs to a playlist one at a time and I like the way the songs in a Genius Playlist go well together, but that's the way it is.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 3:14 AM in response to NotAnExile

OK, so I finally got on the phone and spoke to an Apple rep. It turns out that Genius Playlists can't be synced to the watch. It's too bad since I always make Genius Playlists because I don't want to add songs to a playlist one at a time and I like the way the songs in a Genius Playlist go well together, but that's the way it is.

Jan 6, 2020 1:08 PM in response to NotAnExile

Hey there NotAnExile,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're running into some trouble with the Music app on your Apple Watch. I'd be glad to see what I can do to assist.

You mentioned an issue with adding music to your Apple Watch in the from of a playlist. Did you verify that there is ample storage available on your Apple Watch for that to take place? You can check this on the Apple Watch itself by going to Settings > General > About. You can also check the storage on your iPhone by going to the Watch app > General > Usage.

For your second question, there's not currently a way to adjust the quota for music storage in watchOS 6. If you'd like to see that added in a future release, be sure to leave Product Feedback.

Have a great day!

Jan 7, 2020 6:40 AM in response to Randy-12

I don't know what you mean. Which playlists are supported and which are not supported. I've looked at the information that Apple provides about this and a lot of discussion boards and all I've found is the same instructions: go to Music on the Watch app on the iPhone, tap on "Add Music", and and choose the album or playlist you want and tap on the + sign. Make sure the watch is nearby and is being charged." There's nothing about which playlists are supported and which are not.

Two problems about syncing music to Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.