You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off the Apple Pencil?

How to turn off my Apple Pencil first generation

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 8:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 10:33 AM

The Apple Pencil does not a have a physical off switch - so we need persuade the pencil to automatically enter its “soft off” (shipping) state. Follow this process:

• Fully charge the pencil - and verify that the charge level is 100%.
  • Disconnect the Pencil from the charging source (be that the iPad of the external charger via the adapter).
  • Unpair the Pencil from the iPad (Settings > Bluetooth > Apple Pencil - touch the “i” icon, then select Forget This Device.
  • Set the Pencil aside - and do not disturb or move it for several hours; if the internal accelerometer detects movement, it will inhibit the switch-off process.

About once a month, to protect the internal battery of the pencil from deep discharge, recharge and repeat the “soft off” process.

I hope you find this helpful.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 3, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Lizmaldonado1

The Apple Pencil does not a have a physical off switch - so we need persuade the pencil to automatically enter its “soft off” (shipping) state. Follow this process:

• Fully charge the pencil - and verify that the charge level is 100%.
  • Disconnect the Pencil from the charging source (be that the iPad of the external charger via the adapter).
  • Unpair the Pencil from the iPad (Settings > Bluetooth > Apple Pencil - touch the “i” icon, then select Forget This Device.
  • Set the Pencil aside - and do not disturb or move it for several hours; if the internal accelerometer detects movement, it will inhibit the switch-off process.

About once a month, to protect the internal battery of the pencil from deep discharge, recharge and repeat the “soft off” process.

I hope you find this helpful.

How to turn off the Apple Pencil?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.