Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone used Parallels to add High Sierra to 2019 Catalina Macbook Pro?

I just ordered the 16 inch MacBook Pro which will arrive with Catalina. I read via Parallels blog that I can use Parallels to add High Sierra to the MacBook thereby allowing me to install my 32 bit software that I still would like to use. I understand that I can switch between operating systems when needed. Does anyone have experience with this?

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 3:45 PM

It might be easier for you to install Parallels on your new Mac so you’re sure it’s working properly on Catalina. I’d migrate first and keep your old Mac intact because you know where all the 32-bit programs are located on it. Then install Parallels and move your 32-bit programs into the VM. If you need old preferences files, etc (I needed an old preference file during the setup of an old program) you’ll still have them on your old unaltered Mac. Hope that helps!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 3:45 PM in response to Lynda Ray

It might be easier for you to install Parallels on your new Mac so you’re sure it’s working properly on Catalina. I’d migrate first and keep your old Mac intact because you know where all the 32-bit programs are located on it. Then install Parallels and move your 32-bit programs into the VM. If you need old preferences files, etc (I needed an old preference file during the setup of an old program) you’ll still have them on your old unaltered Mac. Hope that helps!

Jan 3, 2020 9:49 AM in response to Lynda Ray

I've done this to continue using programs to edit old MPEG2 videos. I created a High Sierra virtual machine in Parallels (you could also use Mojave) and added my 32-bit apps to it so they're available whenever I run the VM. I don't use any of Parallels fancy tricks to make it look like High Sierra is running on the Mac, I keep the VM as a separate entity so it's clear which OS I'm using at any time. You can copy files between the OS's whenever you need to, and I find that's the most integration I need. You have to find where Apple keeps the old OS downloads, a search should find them (make sure it's an Apple site of course).

Jan 3, 2020 11:11 AM in response to PenguinMacPro

Thanks so much. I have already downloaded both High Sierra and Mohave OS to my iMac (from the Apple App Store) for transfer. I've never used Parallels and I appreciate knowing that your experience is positive. One more question if you can answer this too: I assume the new MacBook Pro will arrive with the usual set-up required at the beginning. Would you suggest the following steps? 1. Set up new MacBook Pro WITHOUT migrating. 2. Add Parallels and set up High Sierra or Mohave as VM. 3. Migrate to High Sierra the software that only works on 32 Bit 4. Migrate to Catalina the 64 Bit software.

In other words, is it important to set up the Parallels with High Sierra or Mohave OS BEFORE migrating to new MacBook Pro?

Lynda

Has anyone used Parallels to add High Sierra to 2019 Catalina Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.