Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to factory reset ipod nano?

I am giving my ipod nano away and I want to factory reset it, so to speak, to remove my stuff and identity from it. There is no such setting that I could find. "Reset settings" retained "My Ipod" name as well as my music. I went to my iTunes account and can't find anything there about removing a device. What's the secret?

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 10:58 AM

5 replies

Jan 3, 2020 4:33 PM in response to QuickPost

Hmmmm.... ??? restore typically means put previously saved content back on device. I don't see anything to deactivate device. I clicked on help and searched for restore to see what it does, but nothing there. Were you giving instruction on my speculation of how I got music on the device in the first place?

I so want to do a right click on MyiPod and hit remove device from account. Too bad it doesn't exist.

Jan 3, 2020 12:32 PM in response to QuickPost

Thanks but I don't think it applies. I don't have an icloud account or iphone. The other instructions refer to iPod Touch, not Nano and an old Nano at that. Its gen 5 -- 10 years old.

I can't remember how I added music to it in the first place. Does anyone recall how that would have occurred back in 2009 with Windows XP and iTunes 9.0.2.25? Maybe that will give me a clue how to undo it.

It would be nice if it had one of those real old-school paperclip-accessible buttons somewhere that does a full reset.

Jan 3, 2020 5:04 PM in response to not-regular-apple-user

So I proceeded anyhow and hit RESTORE and it seemed to be going in the right direction! It appeared that it was intending to update the software on the device, but it did mention factory settings.

I was given a chance to rename it which I did but then it synced all my content all over again. So I repeated everything and specified not to sync. So I will end up with an iPod with no music on it and not my name. which is what I want.

But, is it connected to my iTunes/Apple account in any way? was it ever? Can it now be connected to anybody's iTunes? Are my iTunes credentials on the device?

As an aside, when renaming the device, I spelled Ipod incorrectly on the device rename, so I went through the restore exercise again. Unexpectedly, the device name field was prepopulated with "My Name's iPod". I'm going to assume that was a cache issue with the software dialog box and My Name was not actually on the device.

how to factory reset ipod nano?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.