Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac ONLY boots in safe mode

1,1 Power mac. running os 10.6.8. i use it for my pro tools system. Ran fine for years. Then one day screen flickered, computer froze, and I've yet to be able to restart it EXCEPT in safe mode. Did all the basics, including target disc mode where i ran diagnostics and it tells me the drives are fine. Brought it to a tech who said they too could only get it to boot in safe mode using their startup disc. So at this point we are assuming something in the processor is shot. Any thoughts? If this is true I'll just buy a later version of a power mac and swap in the drives and cards. I don't think this should pose any issue up to mid 2010 computers, but any insight appreciated.

Or can I send this out to get it upgraded?

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 11:43 AM

Similar questions

16 replies

Jan 3, 2020 12:15 PM in response to sleshnyc

sleshnyc wrote:

So at this point we are assuming something in the processor is shot.

That Mac runs an extensive Power-On Self Test, and it passes diagnostics. "Processor is shot" is complete nonesense. Your processor is fine, your memory is working (but check for all present that you know is actually installed.)

Won't start/run in regular Mode, runs fine in Safe Mode means, "It's something YOU added."

You can either start from a "clean Install" (install onto a blank drive and put back ONLY MacOS, NO add-ons) or disable stuff and see if you can figure out what is causing the problem.

Jan 3, 2020 3:06 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for your responses. the thing is i haven't added anything. I haven't touched the computer in years. it worked fine until the screen flickered, froze, then wouldn't restart. BUT, why won't it start from any other boot up drive? They tried with their drive and it still wouldn't boot. How do i disable stuff and then boot up?

I have no idea where to get an install disc for os 10.6. or 10.7. Believe me, I've tried.

Jan 3, 2020 3:31 PM in response to BDAqua

it's a dual core 2.66. I believe it's the original, also called 1,1. The other drive is the same os. I don't know what os they tried to boot with but I would hope they were smart enough to use one that is compatible with this computer. then again...

If I knew how to turn things off and try booting I'd gladly do that. I'm not afraid to dig in, believe me.

Jan 3, 2020 5:54 PM in response to sleshnyc

If it's not "something you added, the other thing that could take out your Mac's ability to show a good display is a display card that works in the "simple mode" (without the accelerated display drivers) used in Safe Mode, but does not work in regular Mode.

In that case, the thing to be doing is one of:

• Trust that your Mac is working, other than accelerated display. All indications are that it working, just won't display properly.

upgrade in Safe mode if you want to upgrade.

• start searching for a new display card.

drivers for the very well behaved Apple-firmware 5770 are in 10.6.5 or later. The GT120 is also a simple and reliable card, but not very strong if you need video editing.

Power Mac ONLY boots in safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.