Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to install Mojave I get "This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged, and can‘t be used to install macOS."

When I try to install Mojave I get "This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged, and can‘t be used to install macOS." I deleted the download & tried again from the APP store but the same thing happened. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 1:12 AM

When you are on the Mojave page of the App Store does it say Open, and when you click on it do you get that error message.

This means the App Store has detected a failed download of Mojave on your mac. Look in your Applications folder for Install macOS Mojave.app, move it to the Trash and empty the Trash. Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than WiFi.

Restart your Mac, open the Mojave page of the App Store and now you should see Get or Download. Do not use the mac while it is downloading and if you have other devices that share your internet connection avoid using them also.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 1:12 AM in response to volunteer gal

When you are on the Mojave page of the App Store does it say Open, and when you click on it do you get that error message.

This means the App Store has detected a failed download of Mojave on your mac. Look in your Applications folder for Install macOS Mojave.app, move it to the Trash and empty the Trash. Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than WiFi.

Restart your Mac, open the Mojave page of the App Store and now you should see Get or Download. Do not use the mac while it is downloading and if you have other devices that share your internet connection avoid using them also.

Jan 4, 2020 6:09 AM in response to volunteer gal

This message may be due to an expired certificate. For security reasons, certificates used in digital signatures expire every so often. An old installer that is signed with an expired certificate is theoretically a security risk. That said, when the message is due to this cause, the wording could be a LOT better.

"The easiest way to resolve [the message] is to re-download the installer again from Apple" ... to get one that "contains a fresh certificate that is not expired."

http://osxdaily.com/2019/10/24/fix-install-macos-application-damaged-cant-be-used-error-mac/

Jan 4, 2020 8:57 AM in response to volunteer gal

Hi volunteer gal,

You should be able to resolve the issue by deleting a file in the installer package.

Go to your Applications folder and find the installer for MacOS Mojave.

Next, right click on "Install MacOS Mojave" and come down to show package contents.

Double click the folder named Contents. Next, find the folder SharedSupport and double click to open that folder as well.

Delete the following file named "InstallInfo.plist." You might need to enter your administrator password to confirm.

Next open Install MacOS Mojave and it should install.

I hope this helps.

Jan 4, 2020 12:48 PM in response to Soren Pearson

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had already tried that 2-3 times. Another responder posted a link to an article, that reminded me about Macs hanging onto info even after I deleted the file and re-downloaded the installer. I did a restart on my laptop and then it would allow me to do the install. Even though I had deleted the version with the error, my laptop still was seeing that error. The restart cleared that out.

Jan 4, 2020 12:57 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Thank you. That article reminded me about Macs hanging onto info even after I deleted the file and re-downloaded. I did a restart on my laptop and then it would allow me to do the install. Even though I had deleted the version with the error, my laptop still was registering that error. The restart cleared that out. I meant to click on your post being helpful but I accidentally chose the wrong posting and can't correct it. You also should have gotten credit for the solve because it was your link that brought me to getting the OS installed.

When I try to install Mojave I get "This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged, and can‘t be used to install macOS."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.