Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Photo library is locked or you do not have the necessary permissions" after Catalina upgrade

I store my Photos library on an external drive. After the Catalina upgrade, I receive the message "Photo library is locked or you do not have the necessary permissions" when attempting to open the the library with Photos. The Photos repair tool fails. I have the library backed up with Carbonite, but I'm concerned that the version I restore will have the same problem. (I'm downloading the backup to my desktop now; it has not finished downloading from Carbonite servers yet.) Has anyone solved this issue?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 10:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 2:26 PM

You don't have an Ignore Ownership option because it thinks it is a Time Machine drive. You cannot ignore ownership on a startup volume or a Time Machine volume.

Based on those permissions, I'm not sure why you are getting the errors you are getting. The only thing I can think is because it thinks it is a Time Machine drive, but I don't know how that would cause the issues you see.. Is there a Backups.backupd folder or sparsebundle disk image on the drive? Or, are you actually using it as a Time Machine drive?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 2:26 PM in response to MarkCCC78

You don't have an Ignore Ownership option because it thinks it is a Time Machine drive. You cannot ignore ownership on a startup volume or a Time Machine volume.

Based on those permissions, I'm not sure why you are getting the errors you are getting. The only thing I can think is because it thinks it is a Time Machine drive, but I don't know how that would cause the issues you see.. Is there a Backups.backupd folder or sparsebundle disk image on the drive? Or, are you actually using it as a Time Machine drive?

Jan 5, 2020 7:58 PM in response to Barney-15E

Success! The library, once copied over to my desktop, updated - I guess for the Catalina upgrade - and then opened and operated as expected. Thank you Barney. You da man. And I am now no longer panicking over 160GB of irreplaceable media. I'm guessing my Carbonite backed up version would have worked too, but I never got around to downloading it all.

"Photo library is locked or you do not have the necessary permissions" after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.