Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

library is locked and repair doesnt work

I have just updated to Catalina and now the 'photo library is locked or you do not have permissions to make changes to it. Photos can try to repair the permissions.'

When I try to 'repair' nothing happens. Can anyone advise me please..

MacBook

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 5:11 AM

Where is your Photos Library stored?

If it is on an external volume, the volume needs to be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Catalina is checking the suitability of an external volume more rigidly than the previous versions of Photos. The library must not be on a volume that hsa been used for Time Machine backups or has third-party backup software installed. The volume must not be on a network share, a NAS, or a Time Capsule.

If you cannot set the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag as described in "Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support", you must not keep a Photos Library there.

Or is your Photos Library in your Pictures folder?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2020 5:11 AM in response to elizabethfromcoaley

Where is your Photos Library stored?

If it is on an external volume, the volume needs to be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Catalina is checking the suitability of an external volume more rigidly than the previous versions of Photos. The library must not be on a volume that hsa been used for Time Machine backups or has third-party backup software installed. The volume must not be on a network share, a NAS, or a Time Capsule.

If you cannot set the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag as described in "Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support", you must not keep a Photos Library there.

Or is your Photos Library in your Pictures folder?

library is locked and repair doesnt work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.