Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac is showing a lock sign and password wont work

My mac is showing a lock sign on screen and password doesn't work how can I create new password

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 8:01 AM

That appears to be a firmware lock and it is asking for a password to complete the boot process. It is different from your regular password that you use to unlock your computer. See more information here How to set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support where it will show you how to not only set a firmware password but also how to remove it. The issue here is that you do not know the firmware password and therefore will not be able to remove it.

Are you trying to boot from another disk by any chance?

Does your computer have an administrator (Generally at work) that can enter the password? If not then did you buy this computer from a previous user? If you bought the computer from a previous user then you can ask the seller for the firmware password.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 8:01 AM in response to Andre6401

That appears to be a firmware lock and it is asking for a password to complete the boot process. It is different from your regular password that you use to unlock your computer. See more information here How to set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support where it will show you how to not only set a firmware password but also how to remove it. The issue here is that you do not know the firmware password and therefore will not be able to remove it.

Are you trying to boot from another disk by any chance?

Does your computer have an administrator (Generally at work) that can enter the password? If not then did you buy this computer from a previous user? If you bought the computer from a previous user then you can ask the seller for the firmware password.

Axel F.

My mac is showing a lock sign and password wont work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.