Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If a hard drive has been wiped, can I use Target Disk Mode from another computer to reinstall system software on my computer?

If a hard drive has been wiped, can I use Target Disk Mode from another computer to reinstall system software on my computer? The other computer is currently running Sierra (which was also my system's original software.) I'm currently limited to Safari as a browser. If I can reinstall, I'd like to use Mojave. Should I reinstall Sierra firs and then upgrade?

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 7:38 AM

You can do that but I don't think you'll be able to download Mojave on that Mac, as it doesn't meet the system requirements. So you can download High Sierra and even upgrade your Sierra Mac to that if you like. Then install High Sierra:

Get macOS High Sierra.

Follow these steps:

Using Target Disk Mode to install an oper… - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 7:38 AM in response to donnafrompennsy

You can do that but I don't think you'll be able to download Mojave on that Mac, as it doesn't meet the system requirements. So you can download High Sierra and even upgrade your Sierra Mac to that if you like. Then install High Sierra:

Get macOS High Sierra.

Follow these steps:

Using Target Disk Mode to install an oper… - Apple Community

If a hard drive has been wiped, can I use Target Disk Mode from another computer to reinstall system software on my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.