Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use headphone jack as input

I have a new Macbook Pro 13" 2019 w/ four thunderbolt 3 ports. I am trying to use the headphone jack as an input to record music into programs such as GarageBand and Audacity. However, there is no option in the sound settings to use the port as the input. It only shows the built-in microphone as a possible choice for the input. My instrument is plugged in properly to the computer. Can anyone assist me please and thank you?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 1:44 PM

maybe...all I can tell you is that your MacBook Pro does support mic input via the headphone jack, but only with combination earbuds/mic, like the ones you might have used with your iPhone or other smart phone. otherwise it's USB. the plug on those combination earbuds/mic is a little different than the standard one, rather than having 3 poles (3 stripes) on the 3.5 mm plug, it has 4 poles (4 stripes) on it. That's where the gotcha is. that's called a TRRS plug, and you can get an adapter for it, so that 3 stripe regular stuff will work with it, such as your instrument. Otherwise, you'd have to buy a 1/4" plug to usb adapter, or some other USB audio interface to get it to work

that's all I have

john b

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 1:44 PM in response to degduarmarte

maybe...all I can tell you is that your MacBook Pro does support mic input via the headphone jack, but only with combination earbuds/mic, like the ones you might have used with your iPhone or other smart phone. otherwise it's USB. the plug on those combination earbuds/mic is a little different than the standard one, rather than having 3 poles (3 stripes) on the 3.5 mm plug, it has 4 poles (4 stripes) on it. That's where the gotcha is. that's called a TRRS plug, and you can get an adapter for it, so that 3 stripe regular stuff will work with it, such as your instrument. Otherwise, you'd have to buy a 1/4" plug to usb adapter, or some other USB audio interface to get it to work

that's all I have

john b

Use headphone jack as input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.