Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Connected external microphone isn't showing listed on sound Input on MacBook Air

I have an MacBook Air and I'm using GarageBand. So I need to record some voice with my external microphone. I connected it using 3.5 mm aux audio cable. When I go into system preferences - Input - the device isn't listed in Input, but in Output it listed. Any ideas?

If it make sense my external microphone is Shure 8700.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 10:25 AM

8 replies

Jan 13, 2024 6:47 AM in response to romanovaay

that would be mono and stereo... the 3rd is for the mic when you have a headset combining headphones and mic in just one cable and plug.

Still I have just read something about a specific 4 pole cable (hence 3 rings in the plug) called TRRS... (tip, ring, ring, sleeve)... and that'd supposedly is the solution... but my headsets had that TRRS plug and MacBook just won't recognize the mic as an input...

Jan 13, 2024 6:41 AM in response to romanovaay

I am not really sure if that solves the problem... I do have several "modern" mics and also combination of traditional wired headsets (headphones + mic: Bowers & Wilkins, Bang and Olufsen) that have the 3 rings in the plug and still GarageBand doesn't recognize the mic (input) just the headphones as output (beyond GarageBand, the mic doesn't show in the MacBook settings as a sound input)... I have just started like a month ago in the "Podcast" and "music" world, and also most of my bluetooth mics won't do for me because there's a lot of delays and afterwards I am forced to adjust everything cause the voice seems out of sync with the music tracks... that's why I have gotten back to my wired "old" or traditional headsets... The only other mics I own are Shure with XLR and I've just read about a Shure Digital interface... I hate that it has gotten so complicated just because "things have gotten simpler"... what an oxymoron. Anyway, is there an out for this situation?

Jan 13, 2024 7:21 AM in response to FicoChang_PE

Thank you for posting this very clear picture.

I was not aware of the terminology, but yes my point was that one needs a TRRS plug in order to be used as a mic. Unfortunately, I don't know why it is not working for you. Whenever I have tried this, with a mic having TRRS, it has worked on any of my macs. Also, in cases where the mic had only TRS, it still worked using the adapter that I showed in a previous post.

Whatever the reason, if it does not show in System Settings->Sound, it cannot show in GarageBand.

Jan 13, 2024 7:51 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

No problem Luis… Do u mind telling me which device and what MacOS u are currently using? Im on a MacBook Pro M1 2021 and I did migrate to Sonoma MacOS when it became available a couple months ago… Also it would be useful if u tell us the microphone brand or if it is bundled in a headset (headphones+mic). Thanks again…

At this point, I was about to throw the towel and get me a good USB standalone mic (Shure, or the likes)

Connected external microphone isn't showing listed on sound Input on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.