Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File in Mail says downloading but never does

I often have an issues where a file attachment on an email shows as downloading and never does. There is no way to force it to download.

That same email with file attachment comes through fine on my iPhone or iPad. If I forward that email from another device it come through and downloads.

Any ideas on how to force the item to download?

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 5:10 AM

Thank you.

I just did this procedure and it worked:

First, assuming all your Mail is IMAP & not POP, highlight Inbox, from Mail's Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

After the rebuild the file was fully downloaded. I have a rather large mailbox so this did take a while. Is there any reason why this happens? Is there something I can do differently going forward. It happens to me maybe once or twice a month. I use Mail for multiple accounts.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2020 5:10 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you.

I just did this procedure and it worked:

First, assuming all your Mail is IMAP & not POP, highlight Inbox, from Mail's Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

After the rebuild the file was fully downloaded. I have a rather large mailbox so this did take a while. Is there any reason why this happens? Is there something I can do differently going forward. It happens to me maybe once or twice a month. I use Mail for multiple accounts.

Jan 4, 2020 1:54 PM in response to techboc

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Sys Prefs>Network Pref Pane, highlight Interface you use>Advanced button>DNS tab>little + icon.

Try putting these numbers in...

File in Mail says downloading but never does

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.